Author Topic: No disrespect intended but can I give you some advice/suggestion  (Read 29031 times)

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: No disrespect intended but can I give you some advice/suggestion
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 10:09:47 PM »
I always felt Hank Rollins' quiet drive and sense of purpose was from attending military academy and being essentially homeless and on tour with a workaholic like Greg Ginn.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 02:35:57 AM »
There is nothing I can say about this thread that isn't going to upset me on some level.

Good to see the guy who is encouraging me to get control of my mind looks back at his own posts the following day with regret.

If your fitness advice is even remotely close to your musical taste, I can look forward to a visit to the emergency room after our first 'session'.

Tom.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 03:51:54 AM »
can we swing this thread more towards how henry rollins is a thick necked dunce?

i love black flag about as much as is humanly possible but that guy is a doofus
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »
can we swing this thread more towards how henry rollins is a thick necked dunce?

i love black flag about as much as is humanly possible but that guy is a doofus

Yeah, let's swing it that way. I still have a lot of admiration for his work ethic, but he does some really dumb things. I remember when he appeared in some magazine ads for the Gap. The fucking Gap! And then when interviewers confronted him about it, he justified it by saying "I'm taking the Man's money and putting it back into my punk-rock projects, maaaan ...." Very doofusy.

And a lot of his "rants" are pretty lummox-headed. A lot of the Henry rants are Henry talking about how Henry's cultural tastes are superior to everyone else's, and people who don't like what Henry likes should be beat up (by Henry). That kind of thing can be funny when delivered by someone else, but Henry tends to be obnoxiously adolescent and non-endearing when he talks about this stuff.

He needs to get bit in the behind by Rollins Band (the dog).
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »
I believe they've done studies and the cardio does more to preserve your brain as you progress into old age and decrepitude than lifting does...encouraging the flow of blood to the remote parts of your brain, getting the oxygen everywhere it needs to go, all that stuff.

Lifting's cool, too

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 07:13:46 PM »
Also PFT knows how to dress right.

This whole 'we got a grown up President now - everybody grow up' thing is resonating with me.

I've already cooled down a lot in the workplace after seeing how bad rage boy looked next to Obama, anyhow...

Have you ever thought about lifting?

I'm being dead serious.

Something about resistance training that focuses the mind and spirit in a way that nothing else does IMO.

It's unfortunate more creative minded people aren't into weights, but the Greeks had it right: sound mind in a sound body.

I know you joke around about Henry Rollins, but you have to admit that there is an artist and a man with not only a clear vision of his own creative direction but a kind of quiet strength and sureness of purpose I think comes from a man acquainted with the iron arts.

I'm not talking about mindless cardio and "fitness" which is a complete waste of time and energy but hardcore lifting and resistance training.

If you're interested let me know, I'll point you in the direction of some materials I think can be life changing.

Thanks for all the great shows and great laffs

-Trembling Eagle

Have you ever thought about having some tact?

I'm being dead serious.

Something about being tactful that focuses the mind and spirit in a way that nothing else does IMO.

It's unfortunate more creative minded people aren't into being socially graceful, but Lincoln had it right: Silence is not always tact, but it is tact that is golden, not silence.

I know you joke around about Paul F Thompkins, but you have to admit that there is an artist and a man with not only a clear vision of his own creative direction but a sense of timing and a clear idea of what is better left unsaid that I think comes from a man acquainted with knowing when to shut the fuck up.

I'm not talking about never posting again and "dropping the act" which is a complete waste of time and energy but actually having some perception of the human condition and finding acceptance for people beyond the meatheads at your gym.

If you're interested let me know, I'll point you in the direction of some materials I think can be life changing.

Thanks for all the great posts and great laffs

-Regular Joe

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »
I would like to post an open letter to Wes -- no disrespect intended, but a little advice/suggestion:

Have you ever thought about writing a Best Show fan fic where Tom takes Trembling Eagle up on his offer of weight training?

I'm being dead serious.

Something about fan fic about Trembling Eagle giving Tom weight training that focuses the mind and spirit in a way that nothing else does IMO.

It's unfortunate more creative minded people aren't into fan fiction, but the Greeks had it right: BENE VALEATIS ATQUE MEA QUAMVIS MODESTA CONSILIA ET OPERA.

I know you joke around about Howard Hessman, but you have to admit that there is an artist and a man with not only a clear vision of his own creative direction but a kind of quiet strength and sureness of purpose I think comes from a man acquainted with writing about fan fic about a crazy guy telling a funny guy all about the iron arts.

I'm not talking about mindless non-fan fiction and "poetry" which is a complete waste of time and energy but hardcore fan fiction about Trembling Eagle and Tom in the gym.

If you're interested let me know, I'll point you in the direction of some .gifs I think can be life changing.

Thanks for all the great posts and great laffs
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »
Don't do it Tom!  Look what happened to Joe Piscopo and Carrot Top!  Lifting weights killed the funny!

Pat K

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »
I sense hostility in you, you wouldn't have that if you lifted.

That's so true - most of the people I know who are crazy-serious into weightlifting are the most peaceful, reasonable, non-hostile people I know.

No, wait a minute, that's not what I meant to say - what's the exact opposite of "peaceful, reasonable, and non-hostile "?

I sense hostility in you, you wouldn't have that if you lifted.

Official Best Show Slogan for 2009? Yes?
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Sarah

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »
I suppose they might be even worse if they didn't lift.

gravy boat

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 03:54:51 PM »
Don't do it Tom!  Look what happened to Joe Piscopo and Carrot Top!  Lifting weights killed the funny!

You can't pin Carrot Top's awfulness on the weights.  He was never funny.  The iron brotherhood has enough to atone for.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »
I know that it's an anecdote rather than conclusive evidence, but I work out in the school athletic facility (OK, I walk.) The treadmills are near the lifting area. Having now used it consistently for over a year, I can say that, almost without fail, the big power lifter guys are, uhhhhhh, dicks.

I am thankful (hopeful) (doubtful) that Trembling Eagle is an exception to this rule.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »
it's a slippery slope: one day you are doin' a few reps with some free weights while murmuring some bullshit koan...

the next thing you know, you got a case of the Ass Arms.

CurtBlair

• Policemans heel
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 12:52:10 AM »

Then again, Schwarzenegger had to bulk up to six-time Mr. Olympia status before he could deliver the lafftastic triumph of Twins and Junior. 
Use your head, can't you, use your head! You're on earth, there's no cure for that!

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 02:13:29 AM »