Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 860158 times)

snacoman

• Policemans heel
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #1515 on: November 17, 2011, 04:14:36 PM »
Has anyone seen the GBTV version of The Daily Show?  I've seen a few clips and it feels like a cheap knock off

I just watched some clips of it on the GBTV website. It's almost as bad as that short-lived "comic news program" that aired on Fox News. I believe it was called the "1/2 Hour News Hour."

I don't know why, but conservative humor always seems to be lacking...actual humor.

A comedian who mostly talked about other stuff but occasionally talked about things that conservatives liked might or might not be funny.

American liberalism is a much looser set of beliefs and seems to require substantially less orthodoxy (with a few, very specific areas of serious orthodoxy) than American conservatism.

The trouble is that conservative comedians seem to feel like comedians who are also liberal are actually liberal comedians.  There don't seem to be many (any?) comedians who are also conservative.  Perhaps they feel too persecuted to do just a normal act.

Maybe you could count some of the Blue Collar Comedians in there?  Not my cup of tea, to be sure, but people like them.  That racist puppet guy, too, man. 

What was I saying again?

Isn't Dennis Miller a conservative comedian?  He's the only one I can think of. 

If conservatives want to have a Daily Show type show they should do their own thing instead of making a cheap copy. 

I also read that GBTV also wants to make conservative Simpsons type show.  Is that what this channel is going to be, conservative versions of already established programs?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1516 on: November 17, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
Jackie Mason has been funny at times over his long career, but is mostly just a bitter old right-wing crank now.  Colin Quinn is conservative.  He used to do a show directly after Jon Stewart that was just...such a painful contrast.  He and Dennis Miller should do an unfunny-off sometime. Not a comedian, but some say PJ O'Rourke is a funny writer; I have yet to be convinced.  I have no doubt that Dice Clay votes Republican, if he votes.  (There are also programatically liberal comedians that are not funny, like Will Durst.)  Maybe it's that a conservative mindset blocks the kind of unexpected associations and reversals-of-perspective that make for humor; it seems to me equally possible that the kind of literal, unnuanced, black-and-white mindset that generally seems to make a sense of humor unlikely also makes one more likely to be conservative.  These are all very broad generalizations, of course.  I have a conservative Republican brother who is a very funny man.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1517 on: November 17, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »
It should also be noted that while Herman Cain has been a mathematician, restauranteur, CEO, motivational speaker, and author, when the current campaign is over I think standup comedy would be a logical next step for him:

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/cain-we-need-a-leader-not-a-reader.php?ref=fpb
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Kormod

« Reply #1518 on: November 17, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »
You guys forgot these idiots:

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1519 on: November 17, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »
You guys forgot these idiots:

See, I consider them more libertarian/wishy-washy centrists. They never take a clear stance on anything other than "anyone who feels a lot about something is annoying".

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1520 on: November 17, 2011, 08:29:34 PM »
They aren't my favorites, but I think Doug Stanhope and South Park are both funny.  I don't think libertarianism is mutually exclusive to comedy.

I wish I was smarter.  That way I could find a way to connect Bertolt Brecht's theories on catharsis in theatre to the world of comedy.  Basically, I want to say that all entertainment is conservative because it pacifies us from destroying the conservatives in power who keep us down; and so arguing about which comedians are or aren't conservative is moot.  But I don't think I'm smart enough to find a way to say that where I don't come across as crazy.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1521 on: November 17, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
Best Show favorite Nick DiPaolo is conservative, if his appearances on Louie are based in reality (which I think they are).
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1522 on: November 17, 2011, 08:38:59 PM »
I did not mean to imply that I don't find South Park funny. I do. I just find their inability to take a clear stance on seemingly every political subject tiring.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1523 on: November 17, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
Not a comedian, but some say PJ O'Rourke is a funny writer

I listened to the CEO of the Sofa on tape.  Pretty good stuff. 

Contained a laugh out loud take on laughing.

Very interesting examination of Fear and Loathing.

Introduced some hard to shake ideas as well.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1524 on: November 17, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »
I think Mallard Fillmore would qualify as a conservative comic, right?
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1525 on: November 17, 2011, 11:17:58 PM »
I think Mallard Fillmore would qualify as a conservative comic, right?

In the same sense that a black hole showing up on your doorstep is a "positive development."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1526 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:48 AM »
Andy Breckman is a Republican. Also, longtime SNL writer Jim Downey is conservative.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1527 on: November 18, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »
Conservative humor: '...take poor people who signed up for loans they couldn't pay and brought down the economy all by themselves - PLEASE!'

snacoman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1528 on: November 18, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
Conservative humor:  What's the deal with this Mainstream, liberal media?  I'm I right folks?  That guy know what I'm talking about!

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1529 on: November 18, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »