Author Topic: Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy discussion/speculation thread  (Read 5054 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy discussion/speculation thread
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:17:30 PM »
From the WFMU home page, maybe we can suggest questions:
This Saturday morning 10 AM! The one and only Brian Wilson chats on air with Michael Shelley about who he voted for in the recent election, plans for his next concept album ("Pleasure Island, A Rock Fantasy"), and his favorite records (which include The Doobie Brothers "What A Fool Believes"). Tune in!

EDIT:  I guess the interview was already recorded, unless that was a premonition about the Doobies. 

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Pleasure Island: A Rock Fantasy discussion/speculation thread
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
I think we should hold an FOT contest to guess how many times the word "chicks" will appear in the lyrics during the course of Pleasure Island, A Rock Fantasy.

For scoring purposes, any time anyone singing - or speaking, if there are spoken-word sections...I really hope there are spoken-word sections - on the album says "chicks" it will count as a unique chick appearance. So if one of the songs on the album has a chorus that goes "Chicks chicks chicks/Chicks ch-ch-chicks" and they sing the chorus four times in that song, that's 20 chicks right there. If there is a song called "Dig Those Chicks" but nobody actually sings or says the word chicks in the song, that would count as zero chicks.

I will set the bar at a very conservative 11.
This may be the year I will disappear.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 02:34:40 PM »
jackpot.

Brian Wilson
Saturday, November 22nd, 10am - 1pm
on Michael Shelley's show
Michael chats with genius Brian Wilson about who he voted for in the recent election, plans for his next concept album ("Pleasure Island, A Rock Fantasy"), and his favorite records (which include The Doobie Brothers "What A Fool Believes"). We'll also get the skinny on recently deceased musicians when obituary writer Phast Phreddie Patterson checks in and we'll spend one minute with music journalist Scott Schinder.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »
I kinda want to write a competing, parallel "pleasure island" album with the same concept.  See where it takes me!

Kim Kelly

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 03:18:40 PM »
jackpot.

Brian Wilson
Saturday, November 22nd, 10am - 1pm
on Michael Shelley's show
Michael chats with genius Brian Wilson about who he voted for in the recent election, plans for his next concept album ("Pleasure Island, A Rock Fantasy"), and his favorite records (which include The Doobie Brothers "What A Fool Believes"). We'll also get the skinny on recently deceased musicians when obituary writer Phast Phreddie Patterson checks in and we'll spend one minute with music journalist Scott Schinder.

I overslept. :(
Too soon?

Snuggalo

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 02:44:25 PM »
Two forthcoming Brian Wilson albums which aren't Pleasure Island: A Rock Fontasy have been announced:
http://www.nme.com/news/brian-wilson/47736

I hope PI:ARF doesn't turn into the Smile of his twilight years.
Bing - It's better than Google

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
It looks like this title might be up for grabs, TL. 

Pat K

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 08:10:05 AM »
I wish this had come out. I want to hear about the chicks, and the fun rides.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:23:26 PM »
I was thinking a while back, since there's no way this is ever going to happen, the ultimate FOT group project might to create our own version of it.

EDIT:  I just noticed John Junk had that idea a year ago!  It's a good one! 

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:56:22 PM »
I was thinking a while back, since there's no way this is ever going to happen, the ultimate FOT group project might to create our own version of it.

EDIT:  I just noticed John Junk had that idea a year ago!  It's a good one! 

How'd it turn out?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."