Author Topic: Comic books  (Read 113288 times)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Comic books
« Reply #495 on: April 05, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
The Punisher's actually pretty good right now. Just the normal Punisher, not Punisher Max (that's drawn by Steve Dillon so don't bother unless you like every single character having exactly the same face, and only drawn from straight ahead or at 90 degrees)

I liked PUNISHER MAX. True, Dillon only draws one face, but it didn't bother me on PREACHER and (not to compare the two) it didn't bother me here.

PROPHET published my Image is really good and SAGA's first issue was also fantastic..

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #496 on: April 06, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
My pull list is getting ridiculous (in no particular order):

Fatale - Brubaker and Phillips doing it again.
The Secret History of D.B. Cooper - Brian Churilla draws and writes. Only one issue so far but good.
Casanova - Weird, funny, excellent
Daredevil - Got a hole bunch of Eisner nods. Totally deserved them too.
Lone Ranger - The Francavilla covers alone are worth it but it is a great book overall.
Defenders - Fraction writing Dr. Strange? Yes, please.
Brilliant - Bendis. Interested to see where this is going.
Spaceman - Loving this.
Prophet - Loving this too.
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man
Saucer Country - Only one issue so far. Good start.
Saga - Only one issue. The writing is great as well as the art.
Manhattan Projects - Again, one issue so far.
Mudman
Peter Panzerfaust
Steed & Mrs. Peel
Thief of Thieves
Supercrooks
(These I get comped but would be pulling:)
Usagi Yojimbo
B.P.R.D.
Goon
Lobster Johnson
Hell Boy

*whew* I am sure I am forgetting a couple but, man, there really are some good comics out there right now.

Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #497 on: April 07, 2012, 03:58:19 AM »
Fraction and Brubaker are super duper rad indeed.

Just for fun here's my comic book submissions so far with Bruce Lugli as the artist.

http://bodycountcomicbook.blogspot.com.au/
http://atmospherecomicbook.blogspot.com.au/

and illustrated blog novel in progress:

http://otherworldnovel.blogspot.com.au/
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #498 on: April 07, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »
I was spending $100 a month on comics I had no place to store and most of which I never wanted to read again, so I just decided to read trade paperbacks, usually borrowed from the library or bought used or remaindered, unless I wanted to support the artist.  The only comic I buy new is Love & Rockets, which is a trade paperback anyway.

I just finished the Ann Nocenti/John Romita Jr. Daredevil trade, Lone Stranger, which is of its time but pretty great.  Also recently read the Bendis/Romita Avengers saga where they fight Kang, which was startlingly bad -- for somebody who has written some of the best comics of the last decade, he's written some truly dreadful Avengers stories.  I really enjoyed some John Byrne/George Perez Avengers collections from the early 80s, which was totally chasing after what I liked as a 10-year-old but still a lot of fun.

I'm currently reading a couple of DC hardcover editions of Jack Cole's Plastic Man.  Also been enjoying Finder, Walking Dead, Queen & Country, Various Jason collections from Fantagraphics, Grant Morrison's Batman & Robin, Fraction's Iron Man, and Brubaker's Captain America.  I've read most of what Dan Clowes has put out lately, but man has he gotten boring.  I really miss the old creepy/satiric/surreal days of Eightball.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #499 on: April 07, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
I don't know exactly what I am spending but I do get a substantial discount plus any Dark Horse comic I get comped (It's unfortunate that so many of their books stink right now, however I am looking forward to The Massive). I know if you preorder, you can save 30 - 35% at certain shops and online retailers. But, yes...space can be an issue. We have the room now so It's not to much of a big deal. YET. I am just hoping I can hold on to them long enough to get my son interested. I know that comics were my gateway drug into becoming a reader. Maybe they will work for him too.

I took a LONG break from comics except for stuff like Clowes, Ware and such but now working in the industry, I am reading a whole bunch again. Still can't get into DC & Marvel super heroes though. There are very few I have enjoyed or are enjoying. Fraction's Iron Man, and Brubaker's Captain America were very good though.

Right now, I am going back to read some things I missed like Y: The Last Man, DMZ, the first Criminal arcs. Finder is excellent as was Habibi and Green River Killer. Matt Kindt's 3 Story was super great. Very moving. He has something coming out with Dark Horse soon that I am looking forward to. I scored ten volumes of the Nexus archives brand new for 80% off. I really like them. Dated, but really fun mid 80's sci-fi.

I was working at ECCC last weekend. It was the first time I had ever been to a con. I was pretty much working the whole time but I did meet a whole bunch of creators after hours: Francisco Francavilla, Tony Moore, Greg Rucka, Daryl Gregory, Chris Roberson, Rich Ellis, Francis Manapul, Brian Buccellato. I ran in to Matt Fraction and his wife in the elevator and it took about 15 seconds before our conversation turned to Gary the Squirrel (which he said his daughter LOVES). Also met Mackro in Seattle who calls into the show. Super great guy. Bummed I couldn't hang out with him more.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #500 on: April 07, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
I took a LONG break from comics except for stuff like Clowes, Ware...

Chris Ware is amazing, and I used to just love "Eightball"...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

wood and iron

« Reply #501 on: April 07, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »
Big Plastic Head:

So you work for Dark Horse, then? What do you do, if you don't mind me asking? I'm very curious about the comics industry because I feel the comics industry press tends to not really focus on the business or behind the scenes stuff but the fanboy outrages and those other distractions.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #502 on: April 08, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
I work for Things From Another World (tfaw.com) which is part of DH. TFAW is where Mike Richardson started before publishing. There are three Portland locations and then one at Universal City Walk in LA, and the large on-line store. I am their graphic designer, working in the DH offices: Posters, flyers, web banners and such. I also am taking them through a full redesign of the web site which is long over due. I've been there since around August of last year. I really like it however the pay isn't that great. But I love the folks I work with and never dread going in to work. And it's about a mile and a half from my house.

I think there are plenty of comic sites that talk about the business, at least in my experience, especially now that digital is in it's infancy. Comics Alliance does a pretty good job and even posts monthly sales just to track the different publishers. CBR does some good reporting. In fact, I recommend their last interview with Mike Mignola where he talks about the problems of creators focusing too much on their marketing and not enough about the work itself. It was only a couple of weeks ago. Should be easy to find on their site.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #503 on: April 09, 2012, 03:44:19 AM »
Close to twenty years ago there was a comic art show at a pop-up art gallery here in Dallas. The exhibit featured the work of Dan Piraro and Dan Clowes among others. They were both in attendance for the opening. At the time I was still employed by Lone Star Comics, whose owner - Buddy Saunders - was a lightning rod of controversy within the industry. Gary Groth of Fantagraphics was one of Saunders' most outspoken critics and seemed to relish taking him to task within the pages of The Comics Journal.

Clowes was virtually unknown at the time. Piraro was clearly the "star" of the show (he has ties to Dallas and his Bizarro work was popular in the local paper as a result). I ended up spending most of the opening at a table having drinks with Clowes who once he learned that I worked for Buddy Saunders had lots of questions to ask. I spent the next several months terrified that a.) something I said about Buddy would get back to him; and b.) that I would end up as a character - and a miserable, unfavorable character at that - within the pages of Eightball. As far as I know neither happened.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #504 on: July 25, 2012, 10:11:54 AM »
On a whim I picked up a collection of "Darkest Night" at the library. I spent most of my adolescence steeped in DC mythology back in the late 80s/early 90s. And I continue to watch many of the animated DC films and tv shows. But holy cow, this thing is completely impenetrable. I feel the way I do when I've read manga: "I'll just assume this makes sense in Japan and go with the flow, because I can't make heads or tails of it."

The whole thing is just so baroque, complicated and downright silly... Nice art, though. Having read this thing, I can see why they would want to clean house with a venture like "the New 52." But I don't know why they care so much about continuity in the first place. I guess the fans like it, but goddammit, why can't they just tell stories,  and not sweat the continuity! Readers will forgive just about everything if the stories are compelling.

James W

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #505 on: September 27, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »
Just listening to the podcast for 25-Sep-12 and Tom's anti-pun stance - which I am usually sympathetic to - reminded me that King City is packed full of Puns Done Right, and very good in any case - comics people really should check it out.

Cartoonist Brandon Graham is also currently writing Prophet, a revival of an old Rob Liefield (yep) comic in a weird-creepy-cool post-acopalyptic sci-fi series that stands alone and requires no prior knowledge of the character.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #506 on: September 27, 2012, 12:35:26 PM »
Just listening to the podcast for 25-Sep-12 and Tom's anti-pun stance - which I am usually sympathetic to - reminded me that King City is packed full of Puns Done Right, and very good in any case - comics people really should check it out.

Cartoonist Brandon Graham is also currently writing Prophet, a revival of an old Rob Liefield (yep) comic in a weird-creepy-cool post-acopalyptic sci-fi series that stands alone and requires no prior knowledge of the character.

Both of these are great.

wood and iron

« Reply #507 on: September 27, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
Image is on quite the hot streak now that creators are finally comprehending the slave/master relationship that is working with DC and Marvel.

Fatale, Saga, Prophet, Manhattan Projects have all been recent Image kick ass stuff.

I liked the first issue of Happy and I'm usually a little wary of Grant Morrison.

Anyone read Peter Panzerfaust? The premise and art are intriguing.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #508 on: September 27, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »
Fatale, Saga, Prophet, Manhattan Projects have all been recent Image kick ass stuff.

I agree with all of these. Really great. I also like Peter Panzerfaust. Not as great as the others but I haven't stopped reading it.

Fraction's Hawkeye is wonderful. Not to be missed really.

wood and iron

« Reply #509 on: September 27, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »

I agree with all of these. Really great. I also like Peter Panzerfaust. Not as great as the others but I haven't stopped reading it.

Fraction's Hawkeye is wonderful. Not to be missed really.

Yeah I've been meaning to pick up his Hawkeye. Matt Fraction seems like such a wonderful dude and I really enjoy certain heros from the Marvel universe but if it's possible, the Marvel line is essentially a brick wall for newcomers. I like the X-Men and Spider-man. Which of the ten titles for each of those characters do i pick? So confusing.