Author Topic: The Wire - Season 1  (Read 4970 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
The Wire - Season 1
« on: October 02, 2007, 10:05:48 PM »
Episodes 1-6 are currently available on HBO on Demand, the rockinest TV shit EVER!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Andy

• Space Champion!
Re: The Wire - Season 1
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:12:42 PM »
so this show is really that good?  I'm going to have to start downloading the past seasons.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:24:09 PM »
Be forewarned, the first few episodes are simply setting the scene, and could disappoint. Around episode 5 or so, there's an investigation scene with Bunk and McNulty in which only the F-bomb is used for all of the dialogue. After that point, the season takes off.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »
how many seasons in are we total?  I'm thinking about picking this one up and Dexter from season 1 in hopes of weening my wife off of crap shows like Las Vegas.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 04:22:28 PM »
I think Dexter is (quietly) the most enjoyable show on television.  And I liked the first ep of the 2nd season, unlike the first three eps of Weeds, for example.  Those Dexter people seem to really enjoy making that show (Raleigh's own Michael C. Hall -- shout out).  And I've watched nearly all the stuff on Showtime and HBO, which is miles better than the stuff on reg'lar TV, and a touch better than the best stuff on reg'lar cable. 

Although I love the shit out of "Burn Notice," and, uh, those other two detective shows on USA - Psych and the one about that weird fish.

I was saying that HBO on Demand is the rockinest TV shit ever.  I watched all of Flight of the Conchords in a week.  No waiting for me!  Yiss, Britt!

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:39:17 PM »
I like Dexter, but sometimes the writing is questionable at best. It's got a cool concept though, and Michael C. Hall is really good.

As far as the Wire goes, just like was already said, it starts out sort of slow but if you stick with it you will not regret it. After hearing all the hype I was ready to be all incredulous about how it is overrated but once it was all said and done, I was fully on board the bandwagon.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »
I like Dexter, but sometimes the writing is questionable at best. It's got a cool concept though, and Michael C. Hall is really good.

As far as the Wire goes, just like was already said, it starts out sort of slow but if you stick with it you will not regret it. After hearing all the hype I was ready to be all incredulous about how it is overrated but once it was all said and done, I was fully on board the bandwagon.

Yeah, I chose my words carefully - not the best show on TV, not the best written show on TV.  I went with "most enjoyable," although honestly I was looking forward to the zany unbelievability of Burn Notice each week more than anything since the early seasons of "Monk."

The reruns of "Oz" are much better written and much more powerful and thought-provoking than any of those shows, of course - but as far as a deep-seated sense of fun, not so much.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »
I don't get this "The Wire doesn't kick in until episode 5-6-7..." nonsense. I was HOOKED instantly.

Andy, there's four seasons of the series (the fifth starts in January); each is about 12 episodes long.

bruce

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 07:12:17 PM »
Burn Notice was a total summer blast.

The First season of Dexter was following the first book which the second does not follow the second book. So the writing might improve since they wont be following a certain plot.

The WIRE all four seasons some of the best TV ever.

Ason

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:29:31 PM »
The Wire is the Best Show on TV.

call me crazy
but 2nd best show on tv?

Frisky Dingo
man those guys have stepped it up BIG time
"A woman suspects that her daughter's imaginary friend is a ghost haunting their new home"

______http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank________

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 12:01:06 PM »
I have to say, I think the best written show on TV is "Californication."  Seriously.

I will wait for all of you budding scriptwriters to throw your tear-soaked Smith Coronas and soft-lead pencils in my direction now.

Professional screenwriters excepted, of course.  I expect to suffer your slings and arrows, too, though.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 12:44:31 PM »
The reruns of "Oz" are much better written and much more powerful and thought-provoking than any of those shows, of course - but as far as a deep-seated sense of fun, not so much.

I've never seen Oz, I think perhaps for fear that one of the characters will come through the tv screen and rape me.   I used to have the same fear about Father Dowling Mysteries.

I have to say, I think the best written show on TV is "Californication."  Seriously.

A show named after a Chili Peppers album?  Seriously?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 05:19:07 PM »
I've never seen Oz, I think perhaps for fear that one of the characters will come through the tv screen and rape me.   I used to have the same fear about Father Dowling Mysteries.

Oh, he will.  He really, really will.  JK Simmons' Vern Schilling is waiting at hell's door for you.  As is Tom Bosley.

A show named after a Chili Peppers album?  Seriously?

And written by a pair of former Dawson's Creek scribes.  Even so...

Ason

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 08:45:05 PM »

Oz had one good season
then they ran out of ideas
"A woman suspects that her daughter's imaginary friend is a ghost haunting their new home"

______http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank________

folkstarbob

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 01:48:23 PM »
I was hooked on "the wire" instantly too, and have recently rediscovered the wire "on demand" i forgot how good it was.

I'm trying to get into 'big love' season one for first time. I've heard good things but bill paxton is very stoic forever reminding me of CHET from Weird Science

If I see one more curb your enthusiasm commercial I'm going to lose me lunch!

Dexter, season 2 premiere is on demand now sweet :)