Author Topic: Marfa  (Read 1903 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Marfa
« on: August 07, 2012, 03:15:23 PM »
http://www.npr.org/2012/08/02/156980469/marfa-texas-an-unlikely-art-oasis-in-a-desert-town

"I'm not hugely knowledgeable," admits Jennifer Kitson, a 29-year-old graduate student visiting from New Mexico. She came for the art, but also, admittedly, the hype. Just in the past three years, The New York Times has run almost half a dozen features about Marfa — one solely on its handful of restaurants, including the inevitable food truck. Kitson and her boyfriend noticed Marfa's famous fake Prada store that sits on the highway outside town — and then?

"He turned on the radio," Kitson said dryly, "and he's like, 'Look! NPR! That's all you can get.' And it was like, amazing, but then it was also kind of creepy. Like, 'Oh, perfect, our NPR station.' And then you enter, and then we're like, 'Oh, look at this restaurant — they have vegan food!' "

A rich stew for the snarkmasters among the FOT.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: Marfa
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:31:21 AM »
Marfa's also referenced in a sci-fi story in the latest Baffler about artists who create living things via gene splicing and such.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: Marfa
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
Marfa's also referenced in a sci-fi story in the latest Baffler about artists who create living things via gene splicing and such.

Now we know who's been calling in to the show!
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009