Author Topic: Criterion Does It Again  (Read 118689 times)

ArchieFromPGH

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Criterion Does It Again
« Reply #525 on: March 27, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »
Strapped for cash, these last few weeks, but trying not to lose momentum. Picked up Rushmore and Silence of the Lambs. Both used. Will get the remaining Suzuki movies, Story of a Prostitute and Gates of Flesh, in the next few go-rounds.

Alex P.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #526 on: March 29, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
Watching George Washington drunk was pretty strange.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #527 on: March 29, 2012, 11:24:32 PM »
I actually just got the non C  2x dvd of Silence of the Lambs because the wife and I have been watching Monk, and she'd never seen it...se will never see "the captain" the same way again! ha...
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #528 on: March 30, 2012, 01:41:44 AM »
I actually just got the non C  2x dvd of Silence of the Lambs because the wife and I have been watching Monk, and she'd never seen it...se will never see "the captain" the same way again! ha...

I had the opposite experience. I've owned the Criterion SOTL for several years but had never watched "Monk" until last week. As soon as I saw Ted Levine I expected Q Lazarus to start playing in the background.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #529 on: March 30, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »

I had the opposite experience. I've owned the Criterion SOTL for several years but had never watched "Monk" until last week. As soon as I saw Ted Levine I expected Q Lazarus to start playing in the background.

I suffered through this with every episode of Monk - and I watched them all. 

I came to greatly appreciate Ted Levine as an actor and Stottlemeyer as a character, but I never entirely got past hearing a muffled "I eff me so hard" each time he first appeared on the screen.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Mike Desert

« Reply #530 on: March 30, 2012, 03:15:46 PM »
I hand't seen SOTL in so long I didn't make the connection 'till season 3 and I finally IMDB'd him....I knew I knew that voice!

My favorite Ted Levine moment (so far -I'm on season 6) of Monk is when he's trying to get the chimp to shoot him....comedy gold.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #531 on: March 30, 2012, 09:19:25 PM »
Holy crap, I watched the entire series and never made the connection.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: March 30, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
Holy crap, I watched the entire series and never made the connection.

And that's why you get the hose again.   ;D

wood and iron

« Reply #533 on: May 24, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »
So Costco is now carrying some Criterion blu-rays, each for twenty bucks. I was able to pick up The Thin Red Line today. I also saw: 12 Angry Men, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, and The Last Emperor.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #534 on: May 24, 2012, 08:51:20 PM »
So Costco is now carrying some Criterion blu-rays, each for twenty bucks. I was able to pick up The Thin Red Line today. I also saw: 12 Angry Men, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, and The Last Emperor.

It's probably safe to assume that Salo is one title that Costco will not be carrying. I could be wrong though.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #535 on: May 25, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »
PTA and Robert Downey Sr recorded a few segments for Criterion's website

pt 1/4

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts?category=Web+Exclusives

ArchieFromPGH

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #536 on: May 25, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »
I tried to talk about Criterion on the Hatch Patch, but flamed out. That is all.

wood and iron

« Reply #537 on: May 25, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »
I tried to talk about Criterion on the Hatch Patch, but flamed out. That is all.

I heard that and appreciated it. My only complaint is that the Criterion is still being slammed for having Armageddon and The Rock in their catalog. It was strictly a money making move that likely kept the whole place afloat. I'm willing to suffer through two spine titles that are currently OOP so that the whole shebang can keep on going.

casualobserver

• Policemans heel
« Reply #538 on: May 25, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »
The Rock is cinema at its finest, more so shelved right next to the Criterion copy of Robocop.

(I still see Chasing Amy Criterion Laserdiscs floating around record sales, usually sandwiched between two copies of Mimic.)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #539 on: May 27, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »

I heard that and appreciated it. My only complaint is that the Criterion is still being slammed for having Armageddon and The Rock in their catalog. It was strictly a money making move that likely kept the whole place afloat. I'm willing to suffer through two spine titles that are currently OOP so that the whole shebang can keep on going.

Some people take the idea of the collection as a definitive canon in and of itself too seriously. The release of the Bay films (as far as I know, he specifically sought them out) isn't so strange relative to some of the stuff they released in their laserdisc days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Criterion_Collection_Laserdisc_releases