Author Topic: Letter to Young Home Recordists  (Read 2542 times)

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Letter to Young Home Recordists
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
Any recommendations for a low-cost, multi-track digital recording strategy?  TIA

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Letter to Young Home Recordists
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
What's your set-up right now? Mics, pre-amps? What are you trying to do?

There is a wealth of information on the message board at tapeop.com, which is a fantastic recordist magazine. I think you can also still get a free subscription to the mag.

http://www.tapeop.com

John Junk

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »
Any recommendations for a low-cost, multi-track digital recording strategy?  TIA

That's a pretty short letter.  Very informal.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 02:47:31 PM »
Can anyone generally recommend a good mic/preamp set-up for podcasting?

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:51:37 PM »
If I could only have one mic, it would be a Shure SM-57. You can get one used for pretty cheap. You're in the DC area, right? Go out to Atomic Music, and they usually have a few SM-57's, and good prices on everything. There are two of them, one in Rockville, one in Beltsville. They also will know more about pre's than me.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »
Will do. Thanks!

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 03:35:23 PM »
What's your set-up right now? Mics, pre-amps? What are you trying to do?

Many moons ago, I used to record songs (just myself with an acoustic guitar) on a Porta Two.  I had these weird microphones that were mounted on 4 x 4 squares of metal, cannot remember who made them.   Then along came personal computers and the Internet.  Since then, my four-track fell apart and all my equipment has vanished.

I guess my question should have been more specific: what digital audio editing software would you recommend?  Pro Tools?  I am interested in multi-track recording of acoustic guitar and vocals ... stuff like "I Often Dream of Trains."

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »
I think the more important aspect is your sound card, mics, and pre-amps. That will make more of a difference in the quality of your recordings than anything else. The programs all record pretty much the same, just have different levels of editing ability, and interchangeability (is that a word?).

Since it sounds like you would only be doing one instrument at a time, you could get away without a mixer in the chain. Even if you wanted to put two mics on an acoustic, as long as the pre had two channels, you'd still be fine. DBX makes some good pre-amps, and are fairly easy to find used and cheap. I found a Bellari pre-amp used, and have been really happy with it.

As far as mics go, just remember, if you get a condenser mic, you will need to get power to it, which usually is in any mic pre, but you want to check just to make sure.

As far as multitracking programs are concerned, Pro tools is the standard, so any plug-ins will be made for it. Also, if you need to send it anywhere else to work on, they will be able to without any compatability issues.

I just got done recording an album with my friends in my basement. We recorded all the basic tracks onto a Tascam eight track reel, then dumped them down onto a computer to mix and a few overdubs. We used Acid to mix it (the program, not the illicit drug). I liked it a lot. It was fairly intuitative. If you want to see if you like the sounds we get on stuff, go to http://www.theplasticcontainers.com/pagetwo.html, and see if you want to take any of my advice.

Hell, I'm such a nerd I could talk about recording gear all day. Let me know if this is too much information for you, or if you want more.

Also, I can't stress enough how much I love Tape-Op. Microphone placement techiques, digital vs analog techique, other general recording advice. It's a treasure trove of knowledge.

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:17:52 PM »
I have a pretty decent home setup for what I do, mostly spoken word and sounds, including a really awesome mixer.

I am becoming interested in field recording.  I find it very difficult to carry my laptop around while recording sounds.  Is there any type of field recorder or method for recording while on-the-go that isn't overwhelmingly expensive?

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 07:24:30 PM »
What do you consider overwhelmingly expensive? I've hear this
Is pretty awesome, but is also $500 bucks.

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 07:56:41 PM »
Hell, I'm such a nerd I could talk about recording gear all day. Let me know if this is too much information for you, or if you want more.

Kenkwan, thank you so much for the advice/insight.   I'm listening to your music now ... the mix is outstanding ... the guitars really punch through.   Sort of reminds me -- at times -- of that first GBV album "Devil Between My Toes."  I hope you will take that as a compliment (as I'm a huge fan of Pollard and his cohorts).

Thanks again!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 05:20:05 PM »
Does anyone know of a good site to get free background music or intro/bed music for a podcast?  This is something for work so I'd need something unhip but unembarassing. 

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 02:31:24 AM »
Hey thanks Rainer.

Chris L,

I don't know too much about it yet, but you might be able to find stuff through http://creativecommons.org/.