Author Topic: The Sports Dork and "These too cool for school comics"  (Read 16416 times)

Mr. Science

• Achilles bursitis
The Sports Dork and "These too cool for school comics"
« on: May 16, 2009, 01:57:53 AM »
The Sports Dork, Bill Simpson takes a swipe at Zach Galifianakis on his podcast Friday.

Listen up:

http://x818.com/junk/toocoolforschoolcomics.mp3

Mr. Science

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Sports Dork and "These too cool for school comics"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 01:58:13 AM »
I think Dork Boy, once a writer for the Kimmel show, had a run in or two with the some of our contemporary comics. Probably because he thinks he's a laugh-riot - and he's not. 

ps. I know its the Sports Guy & Simmons

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 04:17:51 AM »
I didn't even listen to the clip yet.  But a swipe at Zach G. is a swipe at our higher selves. 
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 04:33:52 AM »
You do get the impression that he does some of those films for the check.

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 04:59:02 AM »
You do get the impression that he does some of those films for the check.

Yes, what a travesty.

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 05:32:30 AM »
 People work for money sometimes? What a strange concept, super-douche sports writer.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:55:44 AM »
Bill Simmons thinks Malcolm Gladwell is a genius. Which is like the Chipmunks being fans of Jem.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:52:55 AM »
I don't really care for The Sports Guy. He is a complete Boston homer and offers no pretense of objectivity. And as a writer, he is hit or miss. That being said, in this particular soundbite, I think Simmons may be talking, at least partially, in jest.

BTW, Paul Lukas is the best thing about Page 2.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Mr. Science

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »
I think Simmons may be talking, at least partially, in jest.

The distain in his voice when he says "with less star power" tells us more than he'd like us to know.

Later on they talk about live syncing Road House with the audience during a future podcast.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
Bill Simmons is okay sometimes - his discussions of new media and the death of newspapers - but can be so insanely off-base other times, like when he discusses the Writers Strike. When he said the strike was a waste of time for the writers, he was clearly getting his info from his buddy Jimmy Kimmel, who only had something to lose from the strike.

He's a ridiculous Boston homer, but it's not like he tries to hide it, so you know what you're getting when you read or listen to him. I always find myself enjoying him until I don't enjoy him; then I check out and come back a few weeks later.

But he's as dumb as the day is long as far as his take on alt comedy.

Tom.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
He's a ridiculous Boston homer

This is precisely why I don't really enjoy his sports writing. He isn't a bad writer. But he pushes Boston teams to a ridiculous degree. Moreover, he seems to have limited knowledge of other sports besides basketball and baseball. It's downright painful to read his ruminations about hockey, for example.

I don't really care what he thinks about Zach Galifianakis. I think Zach is funny and Bill Simmons' opinion certainly won't change mine.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

ben

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 03:16:57 AM »
Well at least the idea he had on his podcast to do have people watch Road House while he comments on it is unique, right? 
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 04:25:39 AM »
I love the Boston teams as much as anyone, but Simmons ranks up there with Dane Cook and Ben Affleck as Boston celebrities/ national media figures that make me wish I was from Chicago or Toronto.

He can be an excellent and worthwhile read when talking about select subjects (like the NBA) and I won't be surprised if his Basketball Book is good, but he has collossal blind spots and sounds as dumb as anyone when caught in these subjects.  The podcast where he mentions Zach with Dave Dameshek (a wannabe poor man's Adam Corolla) he spends a good 40 minutes spouting pure bullshit about the NHL.  His hesitation on whether Minnesota should have and NHL franchise discredits any opinion he has on the subject. The fact that he leaves out the Bruins as one of his teams puts him right down there with the other 70% of Boston "sports fans" who only start caring when the team's won a championship. His weekly chats with JackO can be entertaining but he and his college buddy basically bring nothing new or intelligent to the Red Sox/Yankees discussion except when either of them have a hystrionic meltdown. 

The ironic thing about Simmons is the transformation he's undergone from the days when I first read him on Digital Cities.  His whole act was writing from the fresh perspective of a fan with a knowledge of pop culture, something that Deadspin and thousands of others have imitated, but by the end of the decade turns into the very same kind of privliged, lazy, uninspired sportswriter he wasn't when he started... only with the half the intelligence and ten times the column inches. He's almost turned into one of Tom's Gregorian Monks who've gone to Hollywood and ended up completely ruined by it.

While his discussions with Klosterman and the former ombudsman and his boss at ESPN on the changing media landscape were probably the best podcasts he's done, I'm still blown away by the grudge he still holds towards The Boston Globe for not hiring him straight out of Holy Cross as a columnist.  He instead starts on AOL, then moves to ESPN, then writes and produces for a network late night talk show and is now as prominent as any Globe columnist except Bob Ryan... seems like a pretty good trade off to me. He's made comments in the past blaming him not getting hired because he's a white male.  I bet he has pictures of Michael Holley and Jackie McMullen pinned to a dartboard at the Sports Guy Mansion.

Simmons is just a spoiled rich brat who habitually throws temper tantrums and lashes out at anyone who crosses him or doesn't bend over backwards for him.  Like Peteski's suggested, some 'too-cool-for-school comedians' must have justifiably made him feel dumb once.

scratchbomb

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »
The ironic thing about Simmons is the transformation he's undergone from the days when I first read him on Digital Cities.  His whole act was writing from the fresh perspective of a fan with a knowledge of pop culture, something that Deadspin and thousands of others have imitated, but by the end of the decade turns into the very same kind of privliged, lazy, uninspired sportswriter he wasn't when he started... only with the half the intelligence and ten times the column inches. He's almost turned into one of Tom's Gregorian Monks who've gone to Hollywood and ended up completely ruined by it.

That's my big problem with him. I don't mind his homerism, because it's totally unabashed; he doesn't pretend to be anything other than a total homer.

But he went from being a fan who wrote a column to being a total insider, and I don't think he even knows it. He slips in these little touches into his columns now about awesome Super Bowl parties at Kimmel's house, or hanging out with some ridiculous celebrity. Nobody can relate to it, and worst of all, it's boring.

Plus, the guy has not updated his references in about 10 years. Still getting mileage out of The Karate Kid and Rounders and the same tired 80s references over and over. It's as if Family Guy and Robot Chicken teamed up to write a sports column.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

Ralph Goldenmouth

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »
Bill Simmons thinks Malcolm Gladwell is a genius. Which is like the Chipmunks being fans of Jem.

Laughed so hard I spilled coffee in my lap. Truly outrageous.
I thought I heard some applause. NO APPLAUSE!