Author Topic: Sweet Genius on Food Network  (Read 1434 times)

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Sweet Genius on Food Network
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:01:41 PM »
PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE ELSE IS WATCHING THIS SHOW!
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
Re: Sweet Genius on Food Network
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:49:11 PM »
I am almost ashamed to admit I watch.  I find the show oddly fascinating and ridiculous.  The off-putting host, the computerized voice explaining the subtleties of pop rocks, etc.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
Your Sweet Genius Viewer's Guide:

1) The first thing that stands out about this show is the host, Ron-Ben Israel. He is a former Israeli soldier/modern dancer turned cake expert who somehow became tied into Martha Stewart's empire. He is complex. He is bold. He is terrifying. He acts like a cross between Dr. Evil and acts like Dieter from Sprokets. But he feels less like a Mike Myers character and more like a Kids In The Hall sketch.

His final line on every episode: "You can now join my world of deserts." Other lines: "This cheese puff ice cream is like a cloud" and "this cake is anxious."

He is one of the most bizarre human beings to ever appear on television. Completely unsettling.

2) Like Chopped, the chefs have to base their food around selected ingredients. The choices could not possibly be more randon: jelly beans and hot sauce! Mexican herbs, white chocolate and beef jerky! But on top of it, they also have to reflect an "inspiration" like fire, Chinese paper dragos or Banzai trees.

3) The ingredients and inspiration are introduced by a female, gender-specific robot voice that is activated after Ron Ben hits a gigantic yellow button. The female voice then explains the ingredients and inspiration in detail.

4) The contestants themselves are overshadowed by Ron Ben but are also fairly off. There's so much pathos! They act like they're going to see a family member executed if they lose this dumb show! It kind of feels like they're held hostage. But it's so out of whack to the stakes! The prize is $10K. I mean, that's a decent amount of change, don't get me wrong. But when you figure taxes are also taken out it's like $7,500. That's a lot of money obviously but it's not worth the "YOU MAY BE KILLED IF YOU DON'T WIN" attitudes...

This is the best show on television right now. BAR NONE.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Sarah

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:10:34 PM »
I will have to content myself with the two episodes I can find online.

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »
This show is weirdly addicting. The host's reaction to the chef clipping the banzai tree was quite fetching.  The decor of the studio, the attempted mystique, the egos of the chefs and their particular need to win in order to please their parents who don't believe in them...it's all intriguing to watch.  Cooking competition shows are my guilty pleasures.  I love them all.