Author Topic: The Special Without Brett Davis  (Read 1763 times)

agent_jimmy

• Achilles bursitis
The Special Without Brett Davis
« on: April 01, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »
Does anyone else watch Brett Davis' show? He's the guy who used to call as MC Steinberg and has taken over The Chris Gethard Show's slot. Also, AP Mike has been in one of his movies (wet umbrella anyone?). If that isn't enough best show connections to make you curious it appears Tom is going to be on the show tonight.

http://brettdavis.tumblr.com/

I didn't see the last episode but all the others have been really funny.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Special Without Brett Davis
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:17:34 PM »
I love love love love love this show. It's so friggin' good so quickly. I don't think it's a surprise if you've ever met Brett -- dude works his ass off and commits to his bits and characters harder than anyone ever has.

If you ever get a chance to see Brett's movie Bananazzz (starring his punk poet hero Craig Evanhalen), do so. It's ridiculously funny and smart.

There's a whole crew of folks in NYC now coming up who are really pushing things creatively. A semi-regular on his show is Jo Firestone. She's starting to get a ton of press (like four things this week alone) and deservedly so. She does some of the most imaginative comedy (include setting up a stand-up show for dolls) out there.

This whole scene has constant shows. I know I'm namedropping my brother here but I am sure he will be fine if I tell you that they're his favorite shows to both perform at and even just watch.  I feel like I have to up the weirdo game in Philly because of these young bucks.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »
"I have to up the weirdo game in Philly".

Tom.

Greggulator

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »
"I have to up the weirdo game in Philly".

Tom.

You'd be surprised how tame the Philly comedy scene is. Philly's weirdness is really not represented here. It's a lot of boneheads at open mics and lame copies of UCB's alt.comedy things. There are a lot of talented people I love who actually try to push for things but man oh man do I hate a lot of the comics in town.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

mackro

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 11:52:01 AM »
I saw Bananazz at the WFMU Record Fair in 2013... It was truly great.  The Q & A was especially great.  Thumps up to what everyone above said.