Author Topic: Tom's conclusion speech  (Read 1748 times)

csgersbeck

• Plantar Fasciitis
Tom's conclusion speech
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »
Has anyone transcribed this yet? I'll do it tonight if not. Listening to it live was so surreal, like listening to a President resign from office or something.

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Tom's conclusion speech
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 09:00:39 AM »
Part of it was transcribed in this article!

http://splitsider.com/2013/12/saying-goodbye-to-the-best-show-on-wfmu/

"It's hard for me to say goodbye to this. This is the most satisfying creative experience that I've ever had by a hundred miles, and it has brought so much into my life in every possible way … I feel like I'm doing this better than I've ever done it. I feel like we are just getting started in so many ways. We have talked about so many ways to keep things going, but there has been no plan in place. It's just like, 'Let's end this amazing experience, 13 years of this beautiful show that has just been a privilege for us to do every Tuesday night.' Let's show this show the respect it deserves before we figure out what the future is. That's how I was approaching everything with it. Maybe we take a break, maybe we do one-off episodes. Who knows? We really have not talked about it on the whole, but the last seven weeks really have driven home the point that this is what I'm best at: talking into a microphone and having this fun and making this comedy. It's something that I was lucky enough to have stumbled upon. Jon is my partner; he is my best friend. It has been a complete friend to do this stuff with him and to build the world we've built …

I don't want to stop. We've got something special, and I am going to figure out how to keep what we're doing going in some form that can be sustainable in the real world. If I'm gonna figure it out, I'm gonna figure it out with Jon and I guess Mike, right? … I'm gonna try to figure something out. This is too great and too big and too important to me to just to say goodbye to it because the show is a victim of its own success, outgrowing a noncommercial radio station … There's no way that I'm gonna say goodbye to this thing I've been doing that I feel is probably why I'm here on the planet."