Author Topic: General Movie Thread  (Read 763282 times)

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Winter Movies
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »
I ended up seeing a lot of movies this winter. Here they are, ranked:

Milk
The Wrestler/Let the Right One In (tie)
Gran Torino
Frost Nixon
Yes Man
Seven Pounds

(I was visiting my family in the boondocks on the last two, don't judge!)
I'd say the top 3 could have been switched, but Milk before being sad had a lot of good feeling that was a welcome change.

Jack from Arkansas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I enjoyed Noi.  I guess I like cold snowy movies too.  How about Dr. Zhivago and the "crystaline" performances turned in on The Ice Storm.  Also, Thirty Days of Night wasn't a terrible horror movie and it's set in Alaska. 

Sarah

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 06:23:59 AM »
Smilla's Sense of Snow has some nice snow. 

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 07:05:15 AM »
Frost/Nixon is well-crafted (what does that mean nowadays, anyway?) but pretty boring and bland. I guess that was to be expected with Mr. Howard at the helm. I'm amazed at how heavy-handed and clunky he is as a storyteller at times, still. It picks up when the interview gets underway, but the opening in particular is snoozeville.

Positive note: Sam Rockwell and Oliver Platt as two of Frost's collaborators. They have a couple of great scenes together, and inject some well-needed energy into the proceedings.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 10:25:17 AM »
I saw Man on Wire & really loved it.

Here's a link to a current film festival in Princeton on environmental films:

Princeton Environmental Film Festival

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »
My Bloody Valentine 3D.

im all about novelty on a ridiculous level, thusly, i cannot WAIT to see this movie.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »
Seven Pounds

Is this as completely insane as I've been led to believe? If so, I might have to catch a showing.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
Robbie Benson's Ice Castles

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2009, 04:05:44 PM »
The Movie Boy has posted his year end lists.  Among the honorable mentions for Most Underrated Film of the year?  The Hottie and the Nottie.  Also, for those of you wondering, Marley & Me is the 10th best film of '08.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2009, 04:23:54 PM »
I went a few years (literally) without watching many movies but so far this winter has been THE winter for becoming reaquainted with movie-watching.  I've watched a ridiculous number of films the past two weeks.

Definitely taking note of what people are mentioning too.

I'm having trouble with Man on Wire ~ everyone says it's great and I don't doubt that at all, it just doesn't sound like it make for a great movie so I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that enough to actually rent it thusfar. 

mostlymeat

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »
I saw Marley & Me.  Not so bad!

Really? Slowly watching a dog die is not so bad? Slow-mo eye closing ? Close up of the syringe ? Dying dog movie?

I went into this expecting another sequel to Beethoven or maybe and update of Turner and Hootch but all I got was 2 hours of a lands end catalog turned into a movie with a dying dog at the end.

I also saw some thriftown VHS: "Raquet" starring Burt Convy and "Lunchwagon" starring playboy playmates and Bob Denver's co-star in the Far Out Space Nuts. Both were lousy but had good music.

-Ajax

<<<<<

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »
Recommedations on where to start with Ingmar Bergman?  I've never seen any of his work and feel a little daunted by scope of his body of work. 

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2009, 03:58:37 PM »
Recommedations on where to start with Ingmar Bergman?  I've never seen any of his work and feel a little daunted by scope of his body of work. 

Wild Strawberries is good and fairly accessible. I've only ever seen that and The Seventh Seal, which kinda stunk.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2009, 04:00:43 PM »
Persona is awesome! I liked it a lot better than Wild Strawberries, though that one is also good.

Kid Pain

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »
am i crazy finding the dramatizations in man on wire terrible?