Author Topic: Golf, Golf, Golf  (Read 3815 times)

Andy

• Space Champion!
Golf, Golf, Golf
« on: September 22, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »
I would have started this thread sooner, but I was sure I was the only one.  I'm still pretty sure I'm the only one, but I guess it doesn't hurt to check:

Anyone else play golf?  My game is currently transitioning from horrendous to not-too-embarassing.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Gilly

• Space Champion!
Re: Golf, Golf, Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »
I used to, but I couldn't afford it anymore. I used to be pretty good but I stopped playing sophomore year of college. 8 years later, I still can't afford it and I suck.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »
What leads one to play golf?

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »
wanting to be away from people for 4 hours.  I go hit balls at lunch so that i have a reason not to go to lunch with my coworkers.  plus, it gets me out for some fresh air and lets me take out my aggression.

there is nothing more frustrating than golf, but there is almost nothing that feels as good as when you hit a really solid shot.  there are rounds where I have hit 1 good shot, but that shot made me want to go play some more.

also, I have tried to keep with it many times in the past, but I always just wanted to play.  Now I enjoy going to the range (probably only because it's preferable to being at work), so I think I have a better chance to stick with it.  also, the short game part of it is fun and it's the part that makes you score a lot better.

I rarely play, but I hit balls every day.
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 09:35:03 PM »
What about golf isn't appealing? You're on a beautiful course trying to get a ball in a hole without exerting a ton of energy. You're not up against anybody but yourself and likewise you don't rely on anybody but yourself. You can compete but in the end it's up to you to get the job done and nobody is stopping you from doing it. It's a great game, too bad it's so freaking expensive to play. It's not really worth starting up unless you can devote money (and time I suppose) to get good at it. You can't just go to the park and practice your jump shot.

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 09:46:23 PM »
Rich Kid "Sport"
"Dad gets mad."

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:53:48 PM »
Rich Kid "Sport"
I guess this is supposed to be an insult?
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

Forrest

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »
Rich Kid "Sport"
I guess this is supposed to be an insult?

Yes, federal law should mandate that you can only play basketball, football, or hockey, since those sports cost no money to play. How dare you enjoy something that doesn't make you winded, Andy?

Shameful.

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:07:34 PM »
I used to live basically across the street from a (public) golf course but I only ever went there to go sledding in the winter.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »
I'd say that everyone should try it but I can't. You need to put a lot of money into the game to get decent and it won't be all that fun until you get to that decent point. Clubs cost about 200 bucks if you're going cheap, and it's something like 7-10 bucks to go hit a bucket of balls at the range. You're going to need to do that at least 20-30 times before you should go out and practice on a real course which will set you back about 25-30 dollars if you're playing the executive 9 hole course at a public club. I'd say it'll end up being 400 dollars at the very least before the game's fun to play. At least when you go out to the range you can practice your putting for free!  ;D It's definitely a game for the rich, but I can't deny that it's really fun.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »
At 14, I got my first job at a golf course in Annandale, Virginia.  I worked there for three summers.  In hindsight, I'm grateful - I learned how to parallel-park golf carts, how to cook, and got hours of invaluable exposure to people I desperately wanted to be nothing like.

That said, I usually watch the majors.  Tiger rules.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 10:21:52 PM »
At 14, I got my first job at a golf course in Annandale, Virginia.  I worked there for three summers.  In hindsight, I'm grateful for it. I learned how to parallel-park golf carts, how to cook meat, and got a lot of valuable exposure to the kinds of people I thought I wanted to become the opposite of.

That said, I usually watch the majors.  Tiger rules.
the worst thing about golf is the golfers, for sure.
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 11:58:33 AM »
I love golf.  It's ineffable, though - you either love playing it or you don't see the point or you are downright hostile to it.

All I can say is, I enjoy playing a lot. 
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

erechoveraker

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
I love going to the driving ranges. I suck horribly though at every other aspect besides hitting the ball hard, and doubt I would enjoy a real game.

I like watching it on tv, does that count?

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »
Rich Kid "Sport"

Isn't that lacrosse? Although that seems strange because it's probably one of the cheaper sports to play, equipment-wise.