Author Topic: Who is the comedy-hack Tom's been bashing on Twitter?!?! - Official Guess Thread  (Read 30315 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Who was that funny southern lady who always had the price tag hanging from her hat?  I think it's her.

He's obviously talking about Bennett Cerf. I never got that guy either.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
This thread is just turning into a excuse for people to project their own dislike of a certain comedian or comedy writer onto Tom. Furthermore, I get the feeling that some people have already guessed who was being referred to correctly.  So please: because Tom can't really confirm anything and because this thread has the potential to be seen by the wrong people, let's stop stoking this fire and let the very transparent mystery be.

So sayeth Rhymes with Dodney Ding!

Hey, aren't you suppose to be a nice guy, Dave From Knoxville?

But really-- just change this thread to "Comedians We Don't Like" and it'll be more accurately portrayed.

It was supposed to be a joke, Rhymes With Mouse Caper

nec13

• Space Champion!
Who was that funny southern lady who always had the price tag hanging from her hat?  I think it's her.

That's Grand Ole Opry regular Minnie Pearl.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!

That's Grand Ole Opry regular Minnie Pearl.

Had lunch with her. Nice enough, not at all funny.

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
This thread is just turning into a excuse for people to project their own dislike of a certain comedian or comedy writer onto Tom. Furthermore, I get the feeling that some people have already guessed who was being referred to correctly.  So please: because Tom can't really confirm anything and because this thread has the potential to be seen by the wrong people, let's stop stoking this fire and let the very transparent mystery be.

But really-- just change this thread to "Comedians We Don't Like" and it'll be more accurately portrayed.

I was joking too. :-)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!

I was joking too. :-)

Well, I was joking first! Rumors of my niceness have been greatly exaggerated.

Patrick

• Achilles bursitis
Surprised no one has mentioned Jerry Seinfeld yet.  i think Jerry fits all of the categories.  makes sense to me.
you're gonna love hell, its a lot like Ohio.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
That bee's a jerk, isn't he?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
What is the deal with that bee?

Pidgeon

That bee's a jerk, isn't he?

cryforhelp.jpg

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
My guess is Scott Aukerman

I don't think it's Scott Aukerman, but since you brought it up, what's the deal with that guy? He gets all these amazing people on CDR but always steps all over their jokes.   His own jokes sound deliberately bad, like a dad telling jokes to a 5 year old. The unfunny comedian thing, the irony of the bad joke, I get it, but every week for years and years? Has he ever been actually funny?

He's very funny on stage.

Yes.  I love Hot Saucerman. 

I would also like to register my appreciation of Clock SoccerMom. At first listen, it might sound like he's stepping all over brilliant comics. But if you go thru the archives, i think it's the nature of his goading that has coaxed out some of the best-ever work from people like PFT, Seth Morris, Nick Kroll, Andy Daly, Eddie Pepitone, and many others. As for his own dumb jokes ... sure, they're pretty dumb. But they make me laugh. I dunno, just something about the way he delivers them.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
My guess is Scott Aukerman

I don't think it's Scott Aukerman, but since you brought it up, what's the deal with that guy? He gets all these amazing people on CDR but always steps all over their jokes.   His own jokes sound deliberately bad, like a dad telling jokes to a 5 year old. The unfunny comedian thing, the irony of the bad joke, I get it, but every week for years and years? Has he ever been actually funny?

He's very funny on stage.

Yes.  I love Hot Saucerman. 

I would also like to register my appreciation of Clock SoccerMom. At first listen, it might sound like he's stepping all over brilliant comics. But if you go thru the archives, i think it's the nature of his goading that has coaxed out some of the best-ever work from people like PFT, Seth Morris, Nick Kroll, Andy Daly, Eddie Pepitone, and many others. As for his own dumb jokes ... sure, they're pretty dumb. But they make me laugh. I dunno, just something about the way he delivers them.
[/quote

I think he's more interested in playing the host than in being "the funny one" himself. He's as funny as he needs to be. Any more and he'd be butting in on his guests and they're the real stars of the show.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
I also have to come to Hot Soccermom's defense. I love the show, and his delivery makes even the corny jokes work. As Eric points out, I think for the most part he does let the guests do their thing and takes a support role, which is a good thing for a host to do.

Actually, though, one of my favorite Comedy Death Ray moments was when PFT as Danny Glover gave a vague answer to 'how old are you now, Danny?', and Scott commented that 'you'd think you would have wiki'ed yourself before you called in'.

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis
Tom said that the guy he hates has been associated with tons of great projects. Aukerman has really only done Mr. Show, Between Two Ferns and Sarah Silverman Program. Plus, I really doubt TS would go on his Comedy Death Ray podcast just a few days before or after publicly calling him a hack.

So, I feel comfortable saying it's not him.

I've listened to Comedy Death Ray Radio since it debuted, and although he can be a forehead-slapworthy pun machine, he's great at getting guests, and his show's games are usually entertaining. The first Bob Odenkirk edition of "Would You Rather" had me crying.

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
Aukerman is good and original. CDR both live and podcast is just eff off space that people develop stuff, characters and improv experience. The exchanges Scott has with Brett Gelman, Andy Daly, Harris Wittels, and Seth Morris is top-shelf funny.

Fairly certain Hot Saucerman is appreciated by most everyone in "the biz", and as much as Tom has talked down the comedy procedural podcast I doubt he would take umbrage with something going for the actual funny like CDR.