Author Topic: Dear Vance  (Read 3817 times)

wenderric

• Plantar Fasciitis
Dear Vance
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:52:03 AM »
Dear Vance,

This week I've quit caffeine. I used to consume a lot in a day. My first day without it I had a terrible headache. Aspiring didn't help. In an effort to alleviate my headache, my boyfriend began playing prog rock for me, citing that you had declared on Tuesday that it was good for the head. "Watcher of the Skies" by Genesis and then proceeded to play the rest of Foxtrot for me.

I'm happy to say, that it was relaxing and my head started to feel better quickly. You're absolutely right. Thanks for the advice!

Sincerely,
Kendra

Sarah

Re: Dear Vance
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:12:36 AM »
Aspiring didn't help?  Strange.  It usually does.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »
Aspiring didn't help?  Strange.  It usually does.

How dare you.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

highwindows

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 11:29:14 PM »
dear vance,

when you go on your break at philly pretzel factory, do you sit at a table with a fountain drink, listening to your bose headphones? because i liked to imagine that you do. also, what do you want for christmas (if you celebrate)?

your friend,

highwindows

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:18:57 PM »
Dear Vance,

Would you care to respond to this, from the Wikipedia entry on "Sussudio"?:

The protagonist of the novel and film adaption of American Psycho, Patrick Bateman, briefly discusses the song, before engaging in sexual intercourse with two prostitutes while it plays loudly from his CD player in the background, amongst other work by Phil Collins:

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »
Did you ever think, "what would Keith Emerson have done in Roman times?"  Because now you can know.

http://boingboing.net/2011/12/19/keith-emerson-fights-with-the.html

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

bibi from vegas

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 10:58:25 PM »
Does the Fabric- American of Prog have any [truly] guilty pleasures??
Ain't the first time, won't be the last...

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:02:41 PM »
Vance, is Frank Zappa considered "prog"?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

highwindows

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »
Hey Vance, do you think Lamb Chop is hot?

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
Vance might be too hip for message boards.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

highwindows

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 07:42:32 PM »
vance, are you a dragon?

Dave Chicago

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
Vance. What was the first Prog Rock song?
veni vidi Ricci

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
Dear Vance,

The binocular visual apparatus of a normal human enables us to see objects in three dimensions.  With a third eye, are you able to see them in four?