Author Topic: Chris Elliott rips off Mother 13?  (Read 2847 times)

Pride of Staten Island

• Achilles bursitis
Chris Elliott rips off Mother 13?
« on: July 09, 2007, 05:58:19 PM »
We all know what big fans Tom and Jon are of Chris Elliott, even mentioning how they bonded over their mutual love of "Get a Life" when they first met.

Now it seems that influence is a two way street:

Mr Elliott's new book seems eerily similar to Corey Harris and co's trip to the summit of Everest. Though the book comes out in November I was lucky enough to have a promo copy come my way. While what I've read of it thus far is certainly funny stuff I can't help but feel that Chris Elliott has been copping ideas from the Best Show.

Will Tom and Jon dare to sue one of their heroes? I expect a lot of legal activity come November.
The only Wire I care about is the one that recorded Pink Flag.

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: Chris Elliot rips off Mother 13?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 07:02:16 PM »
Will Tom and Jon dare to sue one of their heroes?

Dare! Dare!

LostInReno

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Chris Elliot rips off Mother 13?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 07:31:34 PM »
How could anyone sue Chris Elliot he is a unappreciated gem in comedy.

Wait... whuuuuuuuuuut?

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Chris Elliott rips off Mother 13?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
I forget the timeline so I'm not sure what in fact precedes what but Chris Elliott was discussing this book and its Mother 13-esque plotline while promoting his previous novel, whenever that was released.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 01:10:03 PM »
Chris Elliott is not ripping us off. We are not ripping him off. The Mother 13 Everest stuff happened, then a few weeks later we heard him in an interview talking about his forthcoming book.

I can't wait to read his book - I enjoyed the last one a bunch, although I don't know if he can ever top DADDY'S BOY, the memoir he wrote with his father.

Tom.

Mainiac FOT

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »
Tom, any chance of getting Chris Elliott as a guest?

Julie Klausner

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:41:11 PM »
I think the new book contains 55% less mentions of Finnian Haddie than DADDY'S BOY.

Oops--

should I have put "SPOILER ALERT" at the start of that post??

Mainiac FOT

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 03:11:35 PM »
I can't be the only one who thought that Tom's references to working in the submarine last night was an allusion to the submarine plot line in Daddy's Boy--maybe an outright rip off?

Pride of Staten Island

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 09:32:50 PM »
Chris Elliott is not ripping us off. We are not ripping him off. The Mother 13 Everest stuff happened, then a few weeks later we heard him in an interview talking about his forthcoming book.

I can't wait to read his book - I enjoyed the last one a bunch, although I don't know if he can ever top DADDY'S BOY, the memoir he wrote with his father.

Tom.

Yeah, I figured as much. I was being somewhat facetious. We'll file this one under "great minds think alike."

The book is pretty funny as you might expect. I haven't gotten through too much of it thus far but reading Chris Elliott phonetically quote Tony Danza has been one of 2007's comedy highlights.
The only Wire I care about is the one that recorded Pink Flag.