Author Topic: Please help me assemble the ultimate Best Show Live Performance playlist  (Read 3096 times)

Chris Florida

• Plantar Fasciitis
I'd like to go back through the podcast archives and find all the best live musical performances from old episodes, isolate them into short MP3s, and create my own playlist of the show's best songs.  I'm particularly interested in the ones that are funny or the ones that reference the show's themes and humor.  And of course the ones where Tom sings :)  The only stuff I would want to exclude is unsolicited singing from callers.

I have listened to the show for 3 or 4 years and remember a lot of good songs, but I know there's people here who have listened longer and can suggest more stuff.  So go ahead and list off your favorite performances on the show.  If there's an MP3 or YouTube of the recording please link to it.  What I would prefer though is to get the original air date (if possible) so I can go back to the MP3 of the podcast and get the best quality recording.  Audio stripped from a YouTube video probably won't sound that great.

Anyhow, here's my short list of favorites.....if you happen to remember the air date for any of these, please let me know.

Take a Chance on Me - Tom Scharpling & Ted Leo - AIRDATE: Not sure, but I think Christmas Eve 2009.

Wise Up - Aimee Man, Paul S. Thompkins, Parrot Aimee Mann - AIRDATE: Not sure, maybe 2010 Marathon

Rock and Roll Dreams Will Come Through - Ted Leo - AIRDATE: Not sure, but it's in the Christmas Gems podcast from the beginning of 2012

Someone Saved My Life Tonight - Tom Scharpling, Ted Leo, and a Chorus of Others - AIRDATE: 2010 Marathon

Kiss From a Rose - Julie Klausner, Ted Leo - AIRDATE: 2012 Marathon (First Week)

31 Today - Aimee Mann - AIRDATE: Unknown

The World is in the Turlet - Ted Leo and the Phramacists - AIRDATE: I don't think it was ever performed live on the show, but how could you leave it off a Best Show playlist? :)

Further suggestions are both requested and welcomed :)

bigoteetoe

• Policemans heel
Re: Please help me assemble the ultimate Best Show Live Performance playlist
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »
Zachary Brimstead, Esq. singing Paranoid by Black Sabbath
the pudding is delicious

paul

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
VON SCHARPLING

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Best Show Gems from December 13, 2010: Tom Zings WFMU DJ Hova, Talks to a Caller About Studio 54, and Sings Belle & Sebastian (originally aired on July 27, 2004). Tom sings "I Fought in a War" and "The Model."

1/23/07 - Tom sings "Under Pressure"

"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

thom

• Achilles bursitis
Tom sings along to side one of The Nylon Curtain in late 2003.
He sings along to a lot of Bridge Over Troubled Water (the album) in--I think--early 2002.

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
A lot of the ones you were unsure about are also from marathons.

March 4, 2008 - Take a Chance on Me
The Best Show on WFMU - Take a Chance on Me

March 13, 2007 - Rock 'n' Roll Dreams'll Come Through
Rock 'n' Roll Dreams'll Come Through, The Best Show of WFMU

Also Ted Leo and Bryce Prefontaine.

March 2, 2010
Ted Leo and Bryce on The Best Show on WFMU Marathon 3.2.10

There's a couple great ones from the 2007 week 2 marathon.  Ted Leo doing That's Entertainment rewritten to be about WFMU is amazing and essential.  Laura Cantrell was the co-host on that show.  I miss the Radio Thrift Shop.

Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
He sings along to a lot of Bridge Over Troubled Water (the album) in--I think--early 2002.

September 24, 2003.

I listened to it yesterday. He sings about half of the album to Sathington. The way he ties the songs together is impressive. ‎"You've got to fight your way through life. You know who some of the toughest fighters are? Boxers." (starts singing "The Boxer")

narwhale

• Policemans heel
Last year sometime Tom did an 'Under Pressure' duet with whatshername from LA (sorry, the name is slipping my mind and I follow her on Twitter!). The graphic designer.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator