Author Topic: Let's talk about a Best Show app now!  (Read 1700 times)

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis
Let's talk about a Best Show app now!
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »
It would be incredibly awesome if there were a Best Show app. Very often I find myself wishing that I could listen to deep entries from Best Show archives while on the go, but alas, iPhones (and I'm guessing most other smart phones) can't play streaming Real Player files.

Even on my laptop, I often find the older Real Player streams to be unreliable, lots of blips and random shutoffs. I know there's at least a handful of people out there that have just about every episode of the show in MP3 or higher quality.

The best radio show archive app that I've seen is the This American Life app, which is a couple bucks and gives you unlimited access to everything they've ever aired. Maron's WTF app is also decent, and gives monthly through yearly membership subscription rates: 1 month for $1.99, six months for $4.99, 1 year for $8.99.

I have literally NO idea how hard it would be to create an app like this. I'm sure there's someone on this board who knows what it would take.

I'm sure there's whole host of reasons why this hasn't happened yet -- time, energy, money, red tape, developing, etc etc etc. I'm just making my voice heard in that I for one would love for this to exist and would happily plop down a regular subscription fee. Would love to hear what other folks think about this idea!

dave in the yard

• Policemans heel
Re: Let's talk about a Best Show app now!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »
its a good idea, i guess its not practical, though.  whenever something like this comes up everyone goes "mom".  i would love a way to get back the old best show gems i lost when my pc crashed.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »
I've done some iphone development. Some things are easy, some things are really hard. Having to write a music player from scratch would be a huge hassle, and it would probably be pretty poor quality. Is the TAL player any good? The new WFMU player is kinda weird.  The easiest thing would be just to sell the old shows in the itunes store.

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »
Maybe there's more interest in this idea now that our beloved show is ending!