Author Topic: In praise of the puppet  (Read 7769 times)

Sarah

Re: In praise of the puppet
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »
There are so many mythical, animal, vegetable, or mineral mysteries on Twitter, a puppet is barely noteworthy.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »
There are so many mythical, animal, vegetable, or mineral mysteries on Twitter, a puppet is barely noteworthy.

Not to mention all the Modern Major-Generals.

Sarah

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »
Precisely.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »
I neglected to mention one very important point in my original post.  While I praise Wally, I know that he could not exist without Tom.

Just as Flavor Flav needed Chuck D to anchor him and make him palatable and give him a reason for existing, Wally needs Tom.

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
Good point, Dorf Da Golfa.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »
I neglected to mention one very important point in my original post.  While I praise Wally, I know that he could not exist without Tom.

Just as Flavor Flav needed Chuck D to anchor him and make him palatable and give him a reason for existing, Wally needs Tom.

Hey Everyone,
    I've held my tongue on commenting on this thread, for fear of criticisms of being concerned too defensive, etc.  Still, being that this is my creation being discussed, I do feel I have a right to weigh in.  There's so much I could say, but I don't want to get too deep into it with this.  I just wanted to somewhat dispute what I've quoted.  While it's true that Wally may have sat in his bag with not much to do before he became entwined in the grand Best Show universe, and Tom deserves a lot of credit and my eternal gratitude for helping bring him to the masses and giving me a venue to put Wally out there, I do believe what was just said is at least a little bit unfair to me and what I bring with Wally.

He is my original creation and I put a lot of hard work into him.  I'm incredibly proud of what he has become, and it has made me feel great about people actually getting and liking something of my creative output.  Still, even if he would have not gained the fame/infamy that Tom and the show have brought him, I still would like to believe that I could have found some success doing something else with Wally, be it simple children's birthday parties or something like just doing stuff like the YouTube videos he's posted, thus far.  I hope you can all understand where I'm coming from on this point, and not just think I'm being some over-sensitive/defensive whiner.  Thanks for hearing me out, and for all the kind words that have been said in support of my and my foam-and-fleece friend.  I hope we both come back from this ban stronger than before and are able to bring entertainment, smiles, and laughs your way.

-Zach (Big Z)

Kormod

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »

be it simple children's birthday parties or something like just doing stuff like the YouTube videos he's posted, thus far.

-Zach (Big Z)

I think you're overestimating a child's natural love for puppets. I'm a fan of the puppet, but let's face it -- Wally Wackiman is a neurotic mess who will never entertain a child.

And this isn't meant to be an insult. Wally's great. I just think he's a puppet that's meant for mature audiences only.

James W

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:05 AM »

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 03:17:33 PM »
It's amazing that John Darnielle says "y'all."  Durham changes you, man.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »

be it simple children's birthday parties or something like just doing stuff like the YouTube videos he's posted, thus far.

-Zach (Big Z)

I think you're overestimating a child's natural love for puppets. I'm a fan of the puppet, but let's face it -- Wally Wackiman is a neurotic mess who will never entertain a child.

And this isn't meant to be an insult. Wally's great. I just think he's a puppet that's meant for mature audiences only.

Well, I think he kinda came out to be one that worked for adults, but I think that if he stuck to a different side of himself, with the energetic upbeat joy, with the other stuff not needing to come out for the kids, it could work, too.  We did do one show, alongside a monkey puppet of mine, which I didn't build, for a holiday party, so it could work.

-Zach (Big Z)