Author Topic: Unanswered Questions / Sub-par Call Idea storage thread  (Read 2995 times)

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
Unanswered Questions / Sub-par Call Idea storage thread
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
In the few years I was able to tune in, I personally didn't have what it took to become a super caller of any kind. I logged one brief 'okay' call last year and was the middle of a Bad Company hat trick, but still have unanswered questions and anecdotes I don't want to risk flaming out over.

Time is limited and I am sure Tom and company have plenty of quality material planned (also didn't seem to take many calls last week), so I thought if anybody might have questions or anecdotes that they suspect might not translate to A+ call material for the final shows, perhaps share them here?

Mine:

- Will Tom ever get around to watching Lawrence of Arabia? (The first movie I can remember appearing on TWO VHS cassettes)

- Due to some kind of theatre screening policy (or limited lobby room?) my father was forced to see the final 10 minutes of Easy Rider before the next screening began.

- A story about how I stole a stolen CD from caller GER (I think he became part of the Newbridge mythology as 'Lumpface' a while before my time?)

- My Frankie Teardrop Experience (I waded onto a small island in a lake near my home, realized bright lights from a nearby apartment rendered the location a lot less scary, encountered a new parked car at the beach on my return as I waded back to casually stroll past in my trunks, and generally felt like I'd been brilliantly pranked by Tom into doing something super-dumb my younger old self might have indulged in.)

- Creepiest/funniest thing I've ever read about Frank Zappa (I was a super fan in highscool/college but have matured and appreciated Tom's refreshing take in past episodes)

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Unanswered Questions / Sub-par Call Idea storage thread
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
The first and last one sound okay. The second one sounds possibly boring, the Frankie Teardrop thing has worn out its welcome, and your talking about stealing a stolen CD sounds like it could be construed as a self-glorifying story. I don't really know, though.
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »
I think the second one could be hilarious, but it could also be dull. Are you a good storyteller? If you listened to the show two weeks ago, you heard the evidence that a lot, lot, lot of people *think* they're good storytellers. But most people actually are not, not at all.

Definitely don't do the Frankie Teardrop thing.

I called in twice over the course of the show. Both my calls were far too earnest to have been interesting, but at least they were mercifully short.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 07:17:46 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

I wasn't really planning to bring any of these up on a call. I already know I'm not the best storyteller, hence I put them here instead. I just thought it would fun to designate a spot for people to put their 'B material' to save room for the good  stuff on air!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 08:09:37 PM »
Man, there aren't many movies (The Sixth Sense? The Crying Game?) worse than Easy Rider to see the last 10 minutes of and then immediately rewatch.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:15:14 PM »
Man, there aren't many movies (The Sixth Sense? The Crying Game?) worse than Easy Rider to see the last 10 minutes of and then immediately rewatch.

Yeah, I learned this from him after watching it for the first time in my teens.

They blew it, man...

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »
What's the point in posting your "B ideas"? Why not post your A ideas?
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 11:15:37 PM »
I've had an anecdote for about a year, and as soon as it happened to me I thought "I've got to call the Best Show with this one."  I've always put off calling, and now with the end I likely have missed the boat.

In a nutshell:
I teach high school English and show the class the concert documentary The TAMI Show as part of a unit on the 1960s.  While we were watching the part with The Beach Boys performance, a kid shouts out- "Who's the one who looks like he's their Dad?!"  I look up at the screen and realize he's talking about Mike Love, and also realize that even as a very young man, Mike Love had the hairline and the overall appearance of an older middle aged guy.   

Figured that might set the stage for some Mike Love riffing or cap talk.

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
Now that's good.

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »
I teach high school English and show the class the concert documentary The TAMI Show as part of a unit on the 1960s.  While we were watching the part with The Beach Boys performance, a kid shouts out- "Who's the one who looks like he's their Dad?!"  I look up at the screen and realize he's talking about Mike Love, and also realize that even as a very young man, Mike Love had the hairline and the overall appearance of an older middle aged guy.   

I love it!

johnnynovato

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
I love the idea of workshopping calls before they happen. Maybe B-material could emerge as A when put through the Dan Harmon Story Circle?

http://i.imgur.com/uO0Hn3t.png

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
I've been sitting on this one for 2 years: I once drove Grand Funk Railroad around Columbus During a music festival, including the 100 feet from the green room to the stage, and directly from the stage to their hotel so they (the headliners) wouldn't have to play an encore. The lead singer and I think the bass player stuck behind to sign autographs and on the way home talked about cocaine and prostitutes and how he was sad not to have ever met Richard Pryor (or "Brother Richard" as he called him).

I also drove a member of the Ohio Players back to his hotel because he forget his clothes for the performance, he had me stop so he could get a woman's number. He later drunkenly gave me his card so and told me to book him in Cincinnati. I also got labor day bbq advice from their manager (or something like that).