Author Topic: The Atlantic: Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop Music Sucks Now  (Read 3065 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
The Atlantic: Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop Music Sucks Now
« on: September 24, 2015, 02:00:46 PM »
A group of music sophistos such as yourselves is bound to have seen this, but I'm posting it anyway: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/10/hit-charade/403192/

I knew this was the state of Nashville (some ungodly percentage of hits is written by interlocking groups of the same six guys), but I didn't know it was this bad in pop music.

It's trite for a person whose musical tastes were formed in the 80s and 90s (or the 70s, or the 60s) to say "boy, pop music sucks these days," but hit factories and associations past never reached the level of ubiquity of these hacks.

It was bound to happen as the money machine ground down. I feel guilty for not going to see Death Cab in Raleigh now, or just buying tickets to show my support.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Atlantic: Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop Music Sucks Now
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
It's the new Brill Building, except now it's impossible for outsiders to join up. A good example of why art should not be produced under modern corporate structures (i.e. "outsourcing" things to a small, invisible crew.)

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »
It's the new Brill Building, except now it's impossible for outsiders to join up. A good example of why art should not be produced under modern corporate structures (i.e. "outsourcing" things to a small, invisible crew.)

It's no different than the vaunted Wrecking Crew that everyone is crowing about all of a sudden. Some people are just better at making ear candy than others!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 11:34:37 PM »
Respectfully disagree, MM. The Wrecking Crew was overly influential but never even came close to dominating the charts in the fashion described in that article.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!