Author Topic: Tom's fascination with Manson has he heard this?  (Read 11963 times)

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
Tom's fascination with Manson has he heard this?
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:39:49 AM »
I wonder if Tom has listened to Manson's Hollywood, from the Karina Longworth podcast You Must Remember This, It's so good.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/?category=CharlesManson%27sHollywood

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: Tom's fascination with Manson has he heard this?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
I wonder if Tom has listened to Manson's Hollywood, from the Karina Longworth Podcast You Must Remember This, It's so good.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/?category=CharlesManson%27sHollywood
Is this the podcast with the fuckin' MotherEfer who can't effin stop saying Fuck?

If not, I'd be glad to listen to it.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:51:12 PM »
I wonder if Tom has listened to Manson's Hollywood, from the Karina Longworth Podcast You Must Remember This, It's so good.

Is this the podcast with the fuckin' MotherEfer who can't effin stop saying Fuck?

Wha? No its film critic Karina Longworth's podcast and the research she does and obscure stuff she finds is ridiculous.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:57:07 PM »

Wha? No its film critic Karina Longworth's podcast and the research she does and obscure stuff she finds is ridiculous.
Well, then I'll be glad to listen.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »
Isn't this show's intro the one Tom mocked/imitated when he talked about joining the Panoply network?

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 04:33:44 AM »
Isn't this show's intro the one Tom mocked/imitated when he talked about joining the Panoply network?

I thought that was Welcome to Night Vale.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »
Totally second the greatness of the You Must Remember This Manson run.  The Kenneth Anger / Beausoleil and the Dennis Wilson installments are particularly strong.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »
Totally second the greatness of the You Must Remember This Manson run.  The Kenneth Anger / Beausoleil and the Dennis Wilson installments are particularly strong.
Seconded.

And the profanity level is way lower than Jonah Ray!

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 05:32:29 AM »

If I remember correctly, he kinda did the whole intro to You Must Remember This almost verbatim, down to the "Won't you join me" line, except of course for the things that specifically refer to You Must Remember This.

Adblau1

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 07:42:29 PM »

If I remember correctly, he kinda did the whole intro to You Must Remember This almost verbatim, down to the "Won't you join me" line, except of course for the things that specifically refer to You Must Remember This.

This HAD to be a reference to Karina's podcast -- it was 100% verbatim, and he even "did" her voice. 100% agreed.

I also love You Must Remember This, even the times Karina goes into her somewhat ridiculous voices and hyperpronunciations. Incredibly informative and entertaining.

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 06:39:42 PM »
Shoot - I thought this was going to be about Marilyn Manson  :-\

theWhatReally

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 06:49:23 PM »
Shoot - I thought this was going to be about Marilyn Manson  :-\

Im pretty sure it is hairdryer.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 07:10:57 PM »
If Tom is interested in the odder elements surrounding "No Name" Maddox, aka Charles Manson, he needs to read Peter Levenda's Sinister Forces trilogy (2005-06). It is Levenda's belief that Manson had created a form of mind control by accident while the US government had spent years fruitlessly working through similar projects through the MK-ULTRA program, but in order to make it work you have to create a cult environment for it to function. Levenda does a deep study of where Manson came from (Ashland, Kentucky) in the first book (The Nine), but he moves on to topics that don't look related at first glance but have similar elements: the rather odd back histories of Mark David Chapman and Jim Jones, questions about the Process Church* of the Final Judgement's contacts with the Manson Family and the possibility that they (or a faction) were involved with the Son of Sam killings, etc. Lavenda does go back to Charles Manson throughout the other two volumes because all three books work as a meta-history of the occult/political crimes running from 1963 to 2001. The nice thing about Sinister Forces is that there are endnotes on each chapter and a huge biblography if you want to check sources.

* The Process as it was also known was founded by a young pair (Robert Moor, Mary Ann MacLean) of expelled Scientologists in 1964. The group was originally called "Compulsions Analysis", it became its own church after one of L. Ron Hubbard's threatening letters to anybody he thought was a Dianetics/Scientology spinoff (he possibly sent one to the Church of Satan in San Francisco); they got one for using an E-meter in their therapy sessions. The church developed a four-deity theology of Jehovah, Lucifer, Satan, and Christ; writer Maury Terry believed that the darker elements of the Church had split off and gone underground, electing a new leader and name (the "Four P's", a reference to the Process insignia), though he had no solid proof. Robert Moor (long out of the group and divorced from Mary Ann) was shocked at the allegations from Terry's 1987 book The Ultimate Evil.

Dammit

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 10:42:19 AM »
I think there was a European documentary on MKU and the unibummer and missing government archives on  his participation as a Harvard student. I also recall a lego animation that a group of animators did on a short story he wrote about a ship's cabin boy who tried to warn various warring factions on the boat to turn the ship around before it hits an iceberg.  I think that the take away was that humanity must deal with the environmental problems first  before trying to solve societal programs. It was also pretty vulgar, as I recall. Fortunately, we've run out of time to deal with these global challenges, so human beings need not bother changing at this point. As for the Mr. Monkeywrench Gang, all he did was kill and injure people and change nothing -- all by his little, awful self. 

Bonus: Henry Rollins on WTF talking about his almost-album with Chuckles: https://youtu.be/b5QdbuIc7ro.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
And let me say that I am not totally sold on everything Levenda writes, it's just that they are interesting little rabbit holes to go down. If you want to dip your toe in, here is a thread on a board full of quotes from the Sinister Forces books. The other thing you need (because it will be brought up) is that Peter Levenda is actually "Simon", the person behind the Necronomicon that has been out in Avon paperback since 1980, or possibly fronting for him (which I doubt.) This book is known in occult circles as the "Simon Necronomicon" and reams have been written about it online.