Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Philly Boy Roy Call?  (Read 31120 times)

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: What Is Your Favorite Philly Boy Roy Call?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 10:28:17 AM »
How long is the ride? Having done some intense PBR research (roysearch?) last year, I came to the conclusion that the 20 minute call from the May 14, 2002 show is the call I'd use to introduce the character, since it sets up a ton of who Roy is and what he's going to be doing for the next few years.

My favorite, though, is the two-fer from the 3/29/2005 episode (my usual pick for the best Best Show episode), which has the call from actor Jeffrey Ludell and follow-up call from Roy about Roy's movie, Philly Fever. They add up to a little over a half hour, I think.

That said, I don't know if I can disagree with the one that helped get things rolling back on Page 1, the call that would make it onto THE ART OF THE SLAP about Roy Jr. and Laser Allin.
This may be the year I will disappear.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »
He passed on after a show at a New York nightclub, you know.

I actually was going to say the same thing as Wes' last suggestion, but with a caveat: I would use the full version of that call rather than the edited one.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »
For newbies I wouldn't recommend the 6/19/12 call where PBR laughs for a minute (which is a long time) at the phrase "Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe", but for the cognoscenti, it's transplendent.

agent_jimmy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 11:51:19 AM »
the physic son one is the way to go. it's got the running of the cheesesteaks and everything. thanks guys!

i'm currently isolating all the philly boy roy calls so I can listen to them in order and really see how the saga unfolds. it's not taking that long. it looks like there are 93 philly boy roy appearances on the best show (thanks to the Newbridgctionary)

I'll share my notes for the Newbridgctionary, buffcoat. god bless all you obsessive best show fans.

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:14 PM »

i'm currently isolating all the philly boy roy calls so I can listen to them in order and really see how the saga unfolds. it's not taking that long. it looks like there are 93 philly boy roy appearances on the best show (thanks to the Newbridgctionary)

Its absolutely staggering how much Best Show content there is.  I've been a superfan since '06 and have only scratched the surface.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 03:22:53 PM »

Its absolutely staggering how much Best Show content there is.  I've been a superfan since '06 and have only scratched the surface.

yeah, I can't imagine getting into the show now and then trying go back and listen to everything. I start listening in '04 and even when it was only like 3 years worth of catching up it seemed like an insane amount.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2015, 12:24:34 AM »
the physic son one is the way to go. it's got the running of the cheesesteaks and everything. thanks guys!

I'll share my notes for the Newbridgctionary, buffcoat. god bless all you obsessive best show fans.

You're welcome, jimmy. The Newbridgctionary started out as just an Excel spreadsheet so that I could keep track of which JW calls I had and hadn't listened to.

There have been a huge number of PBR calls - who's second? Bryce, I would bet. There were a lot of Pudge and Darren ones for awhile, too.

Of course, my favorite regular caller was Hot Rockin' Ronny, but I think he had his day and is done except for the occasional mention by present-day callers.

I look forward to your notes!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »
Hot Rockin Ronny as the Kern Pharmaceutical corporate DJ is one of my favorites of all time. 

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
I don't recall which episode it was, but Marky Ramone talking about John getting "madah and madah." He,also, keeps saying he has to go so he can practice his paradiddles.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."