Author Topic: Perfect Double Albums?  (Read 8470 times)

oldcore

• Plantar Fasciitis
Perfect Double Albums?
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »
Dear Tom,
               What are some double albums (2lp/2cd) that do not have a single bad song on them? 
My choices: Genesis- The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
                  Fucked Up- Hidden World
                  Super Chunk- Incidental Music (yes I know this is a collection of B sides but still there are no bad songs on it)

puffskull

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Perfect Double Albums?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs (comp, but still fair play right?)
Morrissey - Bona Drag (comp again, but fair?)
Husker Du - Warehouse (would say Zen Arcade too, but Dreams Reoccurring/Reoccuring Dreams knocks it out)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (never had the vinyl, but definitely a double... Spoonman is borderline and Black Hole Sun i'd be happy to never hear again but still good songs imho)
Rolling Stones - Exile (I mean, c'mon)
Led Zeppelin - Physical Grafitti (ditto)
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde (and again!)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Methodrone (i know, i know... not gonna be a popular opinion on here)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Take It From The Man! (ditto)

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
I think Tom really likes "Freak Out!" by the Mothers of Invention and the Grateful Dead's self-titled live album (1971). Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

marsdentrainfan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs (comp, but still fair play right?)
Morrissey - Bona Drag (comp again, but fair?)
Husker Du - Warehouse (would say Zen Arcade too, but Dreams Reoccurring/Reoccuring Dreams knocks it out)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (never had the vinyl, but definitely a double... Spoonman is borderline and Black Hole Sun i'd be happy to never hear again but still good songs imho)
Rolling Stones - Exile (I mean, c'mon)
Led Zeppelin - Physical Grafitti (ditto)
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde (and again!)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Methodrone (i know, i know... not gonna be a popular opinion on here)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Take It From The Man! (ditto)

You didn't like Dreams Reoccurring and Reoccurring Dreams? While I'll admit I probably wouldn't pay a lot of attention to those songs based on their own merit....I personally felt they were a really effective addition to the album as a whole. For me personally, even though they were never my favourite tracks on the album by any stretch of the mind, it was still a huge deal to me as a young person getting into punk and hardcore to hear that album for the first time and see how far they diverged from a "punk" sound on a lot of the tracks, those two included. I think if those tracks hadn't been included, the sense that the band was pushing so hard against the confines of what that sort of music could sound like wouldn't have been as apparent, and the album would've lost a lot of impact

puffskull

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
I wouldn't say i don't like them. I totally get what you're saying and as works of art i think they're interesting. Sort of like Revolution #9 on the White Album, I like that they exist and they do add to the scope and character of the album - totally changing the overall work by their inclusion and showing how far they were willing to push the genre

My only point being that when i listen to the album for fun, i'm far more likely to skip past these tracks or leave them off the playlist.

Revised opinion: Zen Arcade = perfect double album

(The White Album cant even hold a candle to it)

marsdentrainfan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »
I wouldn't say i don't like them. I totally get what you're saying and as works of art i think they're interesting. Sort of like Revolution #9 on the White Album, I like that they exist and they do add to the scope and character of the album - totally changing the overall work by their inclusion and showing how far they were willing to push the genre

My only point being that when i listen to the album for fun, i'm far more likely to skip past these tracks or leave them off the playlist.

Oh okay I feel what you're saying then—I think I'm actually in agreement with you then. Sort of how I feel about most Bad Brains albums: they wouldn't be the same without the reggae tracks, and in fact the albums wouldn't be as good without them—but on the same token you'll probably never catch me throwing on "Leaving Babylon" by itself haha.

Ya never much understood why people like the White Album so much....it's got some great songs on it, including my personal favourite Beatles song—but it also has so, so much garbage

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 01:00:52 PM »

Oh okay I feel what you're saying then—I think I'm actually in agreement with you then. Sort of how I feel about most Bad Brains albums: they wouldn't be the same without the reggae tracks, and in fact the albums wouldn't be as good without them—but on the same token you'll probably never catch me throwing on "Leaving Babylon" by itself haha.

Ya never much understood why people like the White Album so much....it's got some great songs on it, including my personal favourite Beatles song—but it also has so, so much garbage

The White Album is my favorite Beatles album and one of my favorite all-time albums. But I'd never call it "perfect".

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 09:15:50 PM »
Oh, how about Soft Machine's Third? That one's really good.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
Double Nickels on the Dime
Physical Graffiti
KISS Alive!
Exile on Main Street
Grant Hart - The Argument
Space Ritual
America Eats Its Young
Almost every Swans albums
Sun Ra Singles comp
London Calling
Quadrophenia
Amon Düül II - Yeti
Times Square Soundtrack
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

puffskull

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:39:42 PM »
I've never really listened to the Soft Machine, but have had strong recommendations to do so. Would Third be the place to start?

Mike, interesting list... I have had Double Nickels for some time, but still haven't gotten into it yet. Its one of those things that i'm convinced will click but just hasn't yet for wahetever reason...

The one that jumps out to me the most though is the Grant Hart album... love love love Husker Du but have only checked out Bob's solo albums... are they all good? gonna go and give The Argument a listen. thanks for the good word!

and a big YES to Space Ritual... forgot about that one.

IMPORTANT PUBLIC NOTICE REGARDING AN OVERSIGHT FROM ORIGINAL POST:
I know its technically an album plus an EP, but my need to include Guided By Voices in any music conversation impels me to include what might actually be my favourite album that requires a gatefold cover...

GBV - UNDER THE BUSHES UNDER THE STARS

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »
I've never really listened to the Soft Machine, but have had strong recommendations to do so. Would Third be the place to start?

Third is generally their "best regarded" album, but the first two might be a little more accessible, particularly if you enjoy 60s psych-rock.

Mike Desert

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »

Mike, interesting list... I have had Double Nickels for some time, but still haven't gotten into it yet. Its one of those things that i'm convinced will click but just hasn't yet for wahetever reason...

The one that jumps out to me the most though is the Grant Hart album... love love love Husker Du but have only checked out Bob's solo albums... are they all good? gonna go and give The Argument a listen. thanks for the good word!

If you don't like these tracks, maybe they're not for you:

Minutemen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxjEi4tgvU0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFavZbUKaWc

Grant Hart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEk8o-mj9QA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zi3zQr3A-4

not off the double lp but off Grant's LP before that one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTH4Zu8gleA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeZ73UvcRns

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
I need to check out the Grant Hart albums.  I love "The Main", which was on the great comp record SST Acoustic.

Also, big second to Under the Bushes.  It's always been my favorite GBV by a long shot, yet I never really hear folks point it out as their best.

mnstrfrc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 11:26:54 PM »
Royal Trux Singles, Live, Unreleased comes immediately to mind. Wu-Tang Forever is really close but has that one terrible track.

Mike Desert

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »
Also, big second to Under the Bushes.  It's always been my favorite GBV by a long shot, yet I never really hear folks point it out as their best.

Just saw Tobin Sprout in S.F. and he did "It's Like Soul Man". Was amazing
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tobin-sprout/2017/cafe-du-nord-san-francisco-ca-33e530f9.html