Author Topic: Life imitates art imitating life...  (Read 22604 times)

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Life imitates art imitating life...
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 02:48:17 AM »
Wow, that band is quite a bit more lost than is typical.  It's almost a trainwreck.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
I think I know where Rev. Kincaid (COS) went after disappearing into a cloud of smoke during the Fun Fair...

June 27, 2008
Whitehaven Journal
Take Out the Trash Precisely, Now. It’s the Law.
By SARAH LYALL

WHITEHAVEN, England — The citizens of Whitehaven try, really they do. They separate out their cans, their paper, their cardboard and their glass, and they recycle them all. They compost. They jump up and down on their trash to cram it into their government-issued garbage cans, and they put the trash out for collection at exactly 7 a.m., twice a month.

But when Gareth Corkhill, a bus driver, was fined $215 — and given a further $225 fine and a criminal record when he failed to pay — for leaving his garbage can lid slightly ajar this spring, Whitehaven’s residents banded together in dismay. They raised the money to pay the fine, and they began to complain.

“I consider the fine against Mr. Corkhill to be a matter of injustice, really, and as a Christian minister I’m required to speak out against injustice,” declared the Rev. John Bannister, the rector of Whitehaven, a seaside town in Cumbria, in the far northwest. Referring to the garbage cans residents here use, he said, “To be given a criminal record for leaving your wheelie bin open by three inches has, I think, really gone beyond the bounds of responsible behavior.”

Across Europe, residents are struggling to adjust to a new era of garbage rules. Britain, particularly, is in the midst of a trash crisis, with dwindling landfill space and one of Europe’s poorest recycling records. Threatened with steep fines if they dump too much trash, local governments around the country are imposing strict regimens to force residents to produce less and recycle more.

Many now collect trash every other week, instead of every week. They restrict households to a limited amount of garbage, and refuse to pick up more. They require that garbage be put out only at strict times, reject whole boxes of recyclables that contain the odd nonrecyclable item and employ enforcement officers who issue warnings and impose fines for failure to comply.

In an era of dwindling environmental resources, garbage-heavy societies like Britain’s are under growing pressure to change their profligate ways. “These are challenging times, and the U.K. is behind the game when it comes to relying on landfills,” said Beverley Parr, a spokeswoman for the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. Or, as Ian Curwen, a spokesman for Copeland Borough Council, which encompasses Whitehaven, said: “Ultimately as a country, we have to do more. We can’t just keep producing and throwing things away.”

But Britons do not like being told what to do. Encouraged by anti-government newspapers, they particularly resent government meddling, as they see it, in such intimate matters as the contents of their garbage cans. As regulations get more stringent and enforcement more robust, there have been reports across the country of incensed residents shouting and throwing trash at garbage collectors, illegally dumping and burning excess garbage, and even surreptitiously tossing trash in — or stealing — their neighbors’ garbage cans.

“It’s like something out of ‘Mad Max,’ ” Paul Nicholls, a resident of Cannock, near Birmingham, told the newspaper The Guardian recently, describing the free-for-all in his town at garbage-collection time. “Every man for himself, scavenging for an extra bin.”

The government says the new regulations are necessary if Britain is to adjust to the changing times. Along with the rest of Europe, Britain has been ordered to reduce the waste it puts in landfills — by 2015, to 50 percent of what it was in 1995 — or face untold millions of dollars in European Union fines.

That means that people have to completely rethink their relationship to their refuse, said Paul Bettison, chairman of the environment board of the Local Government Association.

“It’s a sad thing to have to shatter people’s illusions, but gone are the days when we could put all our rubbish and junk in a big bag and overnight the fairy would come and take it away, and that would be the end of it,” Mr. Bettison said. “The rubbish fairy is dead.”

The twice-a-month collection regime, now in use in more than half the country, is particularly unpopular and became a contentious issue in recent local elections, in which the ruling Labor Party was trounced by its opponents. Among other things, said Doretta Cocks, who runs the 22,000-member Campaign for Weekly Waste Collection, having infrequent collections creates a health hazard, what with the smell, the maggots and the rats.

“It’s supposed to be environmentally friendly, but it’s not,” Mrs. Cocks said. “How can it be environmentally friendly to have two weeks’ worth of rubbish in your house?”

Whitehaven provides many of its homeowners with an array of recycling bins as well as government-regulation wheelie bins that are often modest in size, to say the least, holding perhaps four black garbage bags.

Into these they are expected to stuff their two weeks’ worth of garbage.

“My bin’s always full,” said a 62-year-old Whitehaven resident, who says that he can force five bags in there if he jumps on them vigorously enough. He is engaged in a running battle with the garbage collectors. Once he put an extra bag of trash on top of his bin; they refused to pick it up and left the garbage from the now-ripped bag sprawled on the street. Once, when he failed to close his lid properly, he received a “nasty note saying it was overloaded,” he said.

The note was followed by a sticker of shame affixed to the bin announcing that he was violating local garbage laws. The man, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is afraid of running afoul of the authorities, says he now regularly takes his extra trash out to an empty field and burns it.

Ms. Parr, the environmental department spokeswoman, said that in 1997 Britain recycled just 7 percent of its waste, compared with 33 percent now. (More than 60 percent of its waste ends up in landfills, compared with 55 percent for the United States in 2006.) Britain is poised to experiment with programs under which households would pay according to how much garbage they threw out, just as they pay for water or electricity.

Under one idea, people’s bins would be fitted with microchips, enabling local councils to record the weight or volume of garbage per household. Although such bins are used already in other European countries, even the prospect has critics in Britain muttering about Big Brother and creeping taxation.

In Whitehaven, the residents are annoyed enough about the rules they already have.

Claire Corkhill, whose husband received the fine for their open bin, is still recovering from the indignity of having two uniformed garbage enforcement officers, or “garbage police,” as they are known locally, show up at her house.

She said they were wearing protective vests. “My sister is a police officer, so we thought it was a joke, to be honest.”

Mr. Curwen, the local council spokesman, said the Corkhills had failed to respond to several warnings. “They got a sticker, and then a letter, and then another letter saying, ‘Would you like us to come round and discuss your waste situation with you, because we need to reduce our land filling and the fines are quite steep,’ ” he said.

Mr. Curwen said that people in similar situations — unable to close their bins because of too much garbage — should telephone the council. “We can give you tips on recycling and reducing waste,” he said.

Mr. Bettison of the Local Government Association said there would always be some people who needed extra prodding.

“To encourage people to do something, you start off by asking them ‘Please,’ ” he said. “Then you say ‘Pretty please.’ But if they don’t respond to carrots, you have to move a little more along the scale that has carrots on one end and sticks on the other. You have to make it a little more difficult for them not to recycle.”
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Pat K

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »
I realize I'm like 2 weeks behind this thread, but "Future 86"? This has been bugging me for a while - can we please call a moratorium on bands with random word/number combinations for their names? Who ever decided that that was cool?
I'm warning you with peace and love.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 02:50:09 PM »

im waiting for her grinning face to eat concrete when she falls off the curb for standing like that in those heels.

Julie

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »

im waiting for her grinning face to eat concrete when she falls off the curb for standing like that in those heels.

That's a really ugly bunch.
I have a long history of booing

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »
That cardboard structure is so cool.  It makes me want to be a cardboard designer.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 08:19:28 PM »
I've sat on that type of thing before.  it's not at all comfortable, but I'd agree it's cool looking.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »
Gene Simmons axe guitar for Guitar Hero and Rock Band
pre-order at Amazon or pick it up today at Gene Simmons Toyota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDdSTtE3nNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJSV0lmEHlE

and look out Art Basel Miami! Paul Stanley is moving in on your ground!
The Fine Art of Rock 'n' Roll

KISS Front Man Goes from Concert to Canvas

Wentworth Gallery is pleased to present art exhibitions by artist, rock icon, and charismatic front man of KISS, Paul Stanley. He will make three special appearances at Wentworth Gallery in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Boca Raton, FL and Orlando, FL.

Paul Stanley's Wentworth Gallery Appearances

Friday – November 14, 2008 6-9 PM – Palm Beach Gardens

Saturday – November 15, 2008 6-9 PM – Boca Raton

Sunday - November 16, 2008 1-4 PM - Orlando

Friday November 14, 2008

Wentworth Gallery – The Gardens Mall
3101 PGA Blvd
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

*call for details on Special VIP Reception with Paul Stanley 561-624-0656 or 800-732-6140

Saturday November 15, 2008

Wentworth Gallery – Town Center Mall
6000 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL

*call for details on Special VIP Reception with Paul Stanley 561-338-0804 or 800-732-6140

Sunday, November 16, 2008

1 – 4 p.m.

Wentworth Gallery - The Mall at Millenia K296
4200 Conroy Road
Orlando, FL

*call for details on Special VIP Reception with Paul Stanley 407-903-9055 or 800-732-6140
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

theyellowchair

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
Hmmm, there are approximately TEN THOUSAND music venues "in and around the New York town," I think these young bands can find a place to play.

not as easy as it seems.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
true story

Kid Pain

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 03:18:27 PM »
i didn't read the article, but I do know that the reggaeton digital cable ad never ceases to put a hop in my step.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 11:43:07 AM »
Joe the Plumber aims to extend his stay in the spotlight:

The article states that Joe, real name Sam Wurzelbacher, has "just signed with a Nashville public relations and management firm to handle interview requests and media appearances, as well as create new career opportunities, including a shift out of the plumbing trade into stage and studio performances."

Wurzelbacher's new representative Jim Della Croce says he plans to extend the brand of "Joe the Plumber" beyond the allotted 15 minutes of fame. "He is a dynamic speaker and an everyman who has become an overnight celebrity," said Croce. "It's going to be our job to find Joe's strengths and give him some options."
No word on his new line of confections.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/oct/30/joe-plumber-country-singer

todd

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »
"the brand of 'joe the plumber'"

HA!

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
 It's tough to lick their addiction to lip balm

Headline from a story in the Sunday Delaware News Journal

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »
More Joe the Plumber news. He's got a book deal! Joe the Plumber - Fighting for the American Dream is due to hit bookstores on Dec 1st.

"Everyone came at me to write a book. They had dollar signs in their eyes - 101 Things Joe the Plumber Knows or some stupid shit like that. Excuse me, I am sorry," Wurzelbacher told Fox News.

"You know I will get behind something solid, but I won't get behind fluff. I won't cash in, and when people do read the book they will figure out that I didn't cash in. At least I hope they figure that out."