Author Topic: Does anyone else watch This Country?  (Read 2455 times)

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Does anyone else watch This Country?
« on: January 21, 2019, 04:07:37 PM »
I am DYING to find anyone else who watches this show. I think it's the funniest show I've ever watched in my life. It's insane.

It's on Hulu. It's a BBC mockumentary about life in a rural UK town and why the youth there are disaffected. It focuses around these two nitwit cousins who have no money and even less to do. They get roped into all sorts of sagas and schemes and each person in their life is more messed up than the next (save for the kindly Vicar who tries to keep them on the straight and narrow).

It has earned rave reviews from the UK press. Like "best comedy in decades" level press. I could not agree more.

In real life, the two main characters are siblings who grew up in rural England. The woman who plays Kerry moved to London for acting school and hated it. Her brother dropped out of college and ended up crashing on her couch. They ran out of money and moved back home where they wrote the show and somehow miraculously made a masterpiece. A lot of the other characters on the show are played by family members or friends they think are funny. They still live in the area where they grew up and have no interest in moving to London, which is really cool.

It's just the BEST show. A+++++. Please someone else watch this.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: Does anyone else watch This Country?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 03:44:42 PM »
Please someone else watch this.

Sorry, I cannot.

I don't get the BBC.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

puffskull

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:20:10 PM »
thanks for the recommend! will deffo check this one out...

in contrast to our friend Fredericks i DO love the ol Beeb (when they get it right of course... fuck IT Crowd / Alan Partridge and Thick if It forever!)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:17:16 AM »
thanks for the recommend! will deffo check this one out...

in contrast to our friend Fredericks i DO love the ol Beeb (when they get it right of course... fuck IT Crowd / Alan Partridge and Thick if It forever!)
I did not mean don't get the BBC intellectually, by the way.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

puffskull

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 07:08:33 PM »
haha right... sorry Fredericks!

was just plowing ahead with the first meaning that came to mind.