Author Topic: Late Night Shots cover story in Washington City Paper  (Read 2799 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Late Night Shots cover story in Washington City Paper
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:24:58 AM »
Some of the comments are also incredible:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=2008

Say what you will, but it's nice to know there's still people in this country who appreciate quality boat shoes.

TL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Late Night Shots cover story in Washington City Paper
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:43:39 AM »
Woah.  I can't wait until I have the time to actualy sit down and sift through the entire comments section - this is truly what the World Wide Web was made for!
As a side note, I lived in Adams Morgan for years, just before it became what it is today, which is one of the most gentrified neighborhoods in DC - the idea that you'd be afraid to go there should only occur to those who are afraid of being shoved around by big white guys with backwards baseball caps.
Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:09:08 PM »
Here's a gem from one of the LNS'ers:

"At the end of the day, they hate because they are jealous. Jealous of our priviledge, jealous of our economic success, jealous of our fun. I hate to say it but they hate us for the same reasons the terrorists do. Perhaps that's why they all want us to withdraw from Iraq and hand victory to al Qaeda on a silver platter? Ok, I better stop before I go off on a major tangent/rant here."

TL

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:28:24 PM »
I have to admit - I am, personally, a little jealous of their fun...

Laurie

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:37:37 PM »
This just makes me miss Lipstick and Cigarettes.

Wait, nevermind, I just googled it. LNC is back! WIN! I bet it sucks now... :(

I have fond memories of a thread wherein a girl posted that HER CAT RAN AWAY. Someone photoshopped her cat onto a train, riding the rails and toting a bindlestiff, with the caption "SHUFFLIN' OFF TO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!" This pre-dates LOLCATS by a couple of years. Well, maybe not LONGCAT. I remember the dancing Spiderman makes you GAY gif was very popular over there.

TL

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:46:28 PM »
Oh man - this is gonna become a dangerous obsession for me - watching the LNS trainwreck from afar...  Check this one out:
http://wonkette.com/politics/last-week.s-shots/a-very-special-last-weeks-shots-update-218521.php

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 01:34:31 PM »
What a douche! My favorite was, "BMW's are very new money".

Laurie

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 03:18:48 PM »
What a douche! My favorite was, "BMW's are very new money".

The fact that he used the word "new money" means he's new money. The correct term is nouveau riche, douche.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 10:58:53 PM »
This group is a good a reason as any I can think of for taking this opportunity to say, "I'm sure glad I left that tired city behind me."

I lived in DC for 7 years, all the time east of 18th Street and Adams-Morgan, described here as "Ghetto."  No it isn't. I think I may have worked with some people who could fall into the LNS crowd, but I sure didn't socialize with them. 

Sarah

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 08:26:18 AM »
Almost thirty years ago, I lived for about ten months at the Beacon Hill Friends House (it was cheap enough to make hanging around with Quakers semitolerable [don't get me wrong: they're a worthy bunch, just a little too earnest and consciously good for my tastes]).  Among the residents was a young fellow from Maryland, one of those prematurely middle-aged types, glistening with privilege and startlingly smug, who used to defend the class system on the grounds that it made life so much simpler to know ahead of time with whom one should rub shoulders.  One night, I drank a wide variety of imported beer with him (there was a small bar on Charles Street that prided itself on its inventory, and we were on a mission to sample the lot [we failed, of course]).  As the alcohol overtook him, I realized that his sense of entitlement was so supreme that he had it in him to morph into a rapist, much like Aarfy, in Catch-22.  Had it not been for the presence of another of my housemates, a wonderful, funny, fucked-up English guy who worked for Oxfam, I fear my virtue might have been at risk.

If LNS existed all those years ago, I think Mr. Charlie D. would have been a charter member.

TL

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 10:39:54 AM »
If LNS existed all those years ago, I think Mr. Charlie D. would have been a charter member.

"Plus c'est la change..."