Author Topic: Good Movie Reviewers?  (Read 4618 times)

Josh

• Space Champion!
Good Movie Reviewers?
« on: August 01, 2007, 02:14:49 PM »
offshoot of Tom's rant last nite: what (not necessarily new) movie review websights do you like?

I like:
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

rootdoc (not my real name)

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Good Movie Reviewers?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 02:00:46 PM »
I usually just look at Rottentomatoes, but after watching the Simpsons Movie last night, my faith in that site has been shattered.

PS:  I thought that the Simpsons Movie was TERRIBLE!!!

(That's a topic on its own)
What I am I supposed to put here?

Laurie

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 02:42:50 PM »
I like Anthony Lane of The New Yorker. I remember that he gave Lilya 4-Ever a really good review, but he did not pretend it was a comedy, ASSOCIATE PRODUCER MIKE.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 05:22:35 PM »
I just went to the Simpson's Movie with my kids; I counted 235 laughs. Now I need to rent Stroszek to see how it compares.

rootdoc (not my real name)

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:50:03 PM »
I just went to the Simpson's Movie with my kids; I counted 235 laughs. Now I need to rent Stroszek to see how it compares.

Then what's wrong with me?  I went alone (my wife and kids are out of town).  I love the original series (at least the first 10 years of it) and the movie seemed to have NOTHING that made me laugh during that time.

I guess what made me laugh was that every episode had some sort of parody where this one didn't.  If it could have made fun of famous movie moments throughout, like it started with would have been better.

The 3D stuff didn't do it for me either.  I know that when they want to make a movie that they need to bring something new to the table but this one didn't. 

I can already see this DVD at the Safeway checkout in its pink donut boxing for the next 10 years.

This is when the Simpsons officially jumped the shark.

Maybe I just miss my family.
What I am I supposed to put here?

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 11:03:20 PM »
I thought it had some good gags but was not a good movie. It didn't break any new ground plot-wise, and it's kinda hard to identify with Homer anymore because his turns are only for his own self-interest instead of genuine concern for other people.

Maybe the Simpsons should start aging?
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

chrisfoll577

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 06:51:07 AM »
This is when the Simpsons officially jumped the shark.
i agree that the simpsons have 'jumped the shark' but i believe it's been six years if not longer since the simpsons got old. the movie has only sealed the deal.

south park has done the impossible and outpaced the simpsons for once by putting out an innovative movie instead of a rehash of old plots.

i'm quickly becoming disillusioned with rotten tomatoes as well... once the simpsons movie and hairspray score around 90 you know something's wrong with the formula.  i may be going to metacritic for my aggregated film reviews from now on.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 09:47:26 AM »
I can't think of any other movie with 235 laughs. Shrek III had 7.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »
I admit, I have not yet seen Rattalouie.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »
The Simpsons movie didn't disappoint me as much because I knew going in that it was going to be an L. Ratatouille on the other hand, while enjoyable, didn't live up to the high expectations I had after listening to the July 10 Best Show.

And getting back on topic, a couple of my favorite reviewers:

http://www.filmbrain.com/
http://culturespace.typepad.com/index/film_commentary/
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 11:39:57 AM »
Thanks moonshake!

That screen capture quiz reminds me of a Monday morning staple at my place of employ, Filmwise's Invisibles quizzes.

keno

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 12:43:28 PM »
"Movie Boy" evokes Brendon Small on www.movieweinerorwinner.com

"The on screen sex was hot.  It tingled my prebubescent loins like guppies in a hot..."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 06:53:48 PM »

Stroszek has exactly 41 laughs in it.  34 of them are located in the middle 20 minutes, and one of them is during the closing credits.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

John Junk

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »
I'm with Julie Klausner w/r/t the Simpsons movie
http://julieklausner.blogspot.com/2007/07/hating-on-haters.html

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 08:47:33 PM »
Ebert recently put up a video archive of every televised movie review since 1985.  Fun stuff.