Author Topic: What happened?!  (Read 8128 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
What happened?!
« on: August 14, 2007, 11:17:07 PM »
Jon from Maplewood here. I came in for the last 15 minutes of the show this week (had to show out-of-town guests the City), and was surprised to hear Tom talking about ending the show. His tone did not seem tongue-in-cheek at all.  What went down?  What could bring about this cataclysm?  If it's a gag, I was duped.  If not, please shed some light.

Thanks, fellow FOT's.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: What happened?!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 11:51:35 PM »
listen to the archive,

reading about it isn't the same

John Junk

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:28:39 AM »
Check out the monkfish thread for clues.

bookem_dan-o

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 03:45:24 AM »
Jon from Maplewood here. I came in for the last 15 minutes of the show this week (had to show out-of-town guests the City), and was surprised to hear Tom talking about ending the show. His tone did not seem tongue-in-cheek at all.  What went down?  What could bring about this cataclysm?  If it's a gag, I was duped.  If not, please shed some light.

I can't say much more, other than this: Save up some money for a Sirius Satellite radio receiver.

Richard_From_CHI

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:58:50 AM »
Doing a weekly show, albeit a podcast, I have to admit, after 104 shows or so I regularly consider hanging it up. If people were leaving threatening packages with dead animals for me that would certainly help my decision making process.

While I don't think Tom intends to end it after last show after 6+ years I do think this might push him closer to saying enough it enough, he's a busy guy, with a career and a lot of outside interests, the show is something he clearly enjoys doing but I am sure it is taxing.

I would completely understanding calling it a day, but I do hope when that time comes, and it will, there is a more graceful and reflective exit.

But hell a monkfish would be more than enough for me.

John Junk

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
I would think (hope) that he'd at least finish out the year and tie up loose ends.  I still think this probably won't have been the LAST show, but I could honestly see it hastening Tom's exit.  Like what Richard said.  It's too bad because the show has been particularly awesome this year.  In a way maybe the show has grown so much that it's grown out of itself (??).

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 11:45:19 AM »
I would think (hope) that he'd at least finish out the year and tie up loose ends.  I still think this probably won't have been the LAST show, but I could honestly see it hastening Tom's exit.  Like what Richard said.  It's too bad because the show has been particularly awesome this year.  In a way maybe the show has grown so much that it's grown out of itself (??).

Exactly what I was thinking, John.  If anything, the show has outgrown WFMU in terms of security and reward.  The balance of what Tom gets from the show and what he puts in is tipping further in the wrong direction even as it becomes more popular.  Yet where else could the show thrive with total artistic control?  I expect Tom will come back in a couple of weeks but I'm afraid the writing is on the wall.  Hopefully not, though. 

Mainiac FOT

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 11:50:33 AM »
No chance this is Tom pulling our legs, kinda like his weekly reports on people unsubscribing from the podcast?

steely damn

• Policemans heel
Tom, I mean this in all seriousness
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 12:36:19 PM »
Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
 No!

well, ok.
The notion of TBS ending makes me really, really sad.

Whatcha eatin' there, some Doritos?
-crunch- uh-hu. -crunchcrunch-
That's great radio. Get off my phone.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »
I have a theory for how it shuts down.

With the mayorutorbial race ending in Tom's time slot being granted to Hot Rockin Ronny.

But it's just a theory.

Richard_From_CHI

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »
It would be funny if that happened and then Tom raised an army to take it back by force.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 01:12:07 PM »
No chance this is Tom pulling our legs, kinda like his weekly reports on people unsubscribing from the podcast?

I appreciate your optimism...

I want so badly for the bad guys to lose.
from the land of pleasant living

Sarah

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
I can't let myself get started dwelling on this.  I was wounded too badly by the Sirius hoax.  My trust was shattered, and I was a changed woman afterward: a harder, colder, more suspicious one.  As a result, this time around, I will remain skeptical until the sky has actually fallen.

moonshake

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 01:36:30 PM »
I am optimistic too. I just have a gut feeling Tom isn't 100% serious. The show is only going through a bad spell. There have been many great shows this year, and there are many more to come.

I was glad August called- although it didn't get to be a very interesting call, it was good to know he's still listening.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

jane

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 02:10:22 PM »
I don’t get what’s so disgusting.  Gee, I wish someone would send me a beautiful monk fish packed in ice in a cooler with a little drawing of a barnacle on top, accompanied by a cute little pail and shovel.  Louie is obviously a big fan.  Receiving it from a kid is kind of sweet too.  And how is an oversized jacket a “costume”?  Most kids I know live in oversized clothing – kinda’ au courant if you ask me.       

And the note was pretty friendly, too:

Hello Timothy,

It’s always a pleasure.  Jack would have delivered this fish himself but I sent him off on holiday to enjoy a spit roast with two mermaids of the evening.  He thinks he’s going to a barbecue (thought Jason might enjoy that one).  I’ll be having tea with the ever smiling duchess of  Percalvey.  Hope she’s not late.  Got to run.  When I get back from Rishikesh we’ll knock back a pint or two.   You’re a down girl, Timothy.

Louie the Liverpudlian

Notice it’s not even from Captain Jack.  It’s from Louie.  The opening, “It’s always a pleasure,” is pleasant enough.  Well, he did call Tom Timothy by mistake, but don’t we all make mistakes at times.  Nobody’s perfect.  I think the monk fish, lobsterlike in its delectability more than made up for it.  I mean how bad can a guy who is visiting Rishikesh be?  Rishikesh is the gateway to the Himilayan pilgrimage.  He ends the note with an amicable offer to meet with Tom to share a libation and possibly recount anecdotes about his trip to Rishikesh.  The closing, “you’re a down girl”  made me chuckle too.  I thought the whole thing was quite charming.  I’m confused.