Author Topic: Monsters of the Deep  (Read 3825 times)

Alex Rebar

• Plantar Fasciitis
Monsters of the Deep
« on: September 07, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »
I just started a music blog and would like to share it with the fans of the Best Show on WFMU.  So far there are a few entries about browsing through disgusting records at thrift stores  and a cranky entry about Coco Rosie.  Please check it out...

monstersofthedeep.net

Thanks!

AR

Jason

Re: Monsters of the Deep
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »
First post. ::)

KickTheBobo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:13:54 AM »
yep, I copy and pasted that address into firefox, and was transported to a website.

y'know, regarding that death-metal/drone/noise music: why listen to it if it's not enjoyable?

There was a CBC program awhile back that featured this band "Wolf Eyes". they played like an hour of their music.

guess what: Wolf Eyes stinks.

All of that difficult-core music stinks. nobody enjoys it. listening to it doesn't make you smarter.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 12:06:50 PM »
I have a Wolf Eyes disc. I bought it 2 years ago. I haven't listened to it yet.

I have about 350 discs that I have bought, then not listened to. I'm working on it.

Alex Rebar

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 12:15:55 PM »
I recently had a CD book stolen from my car that had a bunch of droney, sleep inducing CD's that I do not really miss.  Granted the crackhead who broke in probably tried to sell them, but I have a revenge fantasy where this scumbag pops in a SUNN O))) and suffers greatly from it.

Thanks for checking my blog!

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 03:38:19 PM »
yep, I copy and pasted that address into firefox, and was transported to a website.

y'know, regarding that death-metal/drone/noise music: why listen to it if it's not enjoyable?

There was a CBC program awhile back that featured this band "Wolf Eyes". they played like an hour of their music.

guess what: Wolf Eyes stinks.

All of that difficult-core music stinks. nobody enjoys it. listening to it doesn't make you smarter.

I agree completely
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Jason

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »
Your blog stinks.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 09:37:51 PM »
Your blog stinks.
I agree completely.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 11:50:12 PM »
Is there something I'm missing that would lead me to hate this blog?  Because I like to hate things.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 12:04:40 AM »
Is there something I'm missing that would lead me to hate this blog?  Because I like to hate things.
I didn't even read it, but I probably wouldn't like it and I respect Jason's opinion.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Jason

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 01:00:04 PM »
There are hardly any blogs that don't stink. Most of them consist of inane personal drivel, utterly mundane look-at-me slices of life or the interminably cannibalistic and extremely lazy linking to things of actual interest. A good blog takes a rare convergence of originality, good writing and interesting subject matter.

So yes, this blog stinks, but so do nearly all the rest, so its no crime and nothing to be ashamed of. The only crime here is Alex registering for the forum solely to promote his awfulness.

Alex Rebar

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 05:32:45 PM »
First off, I would like to apologize to Jason and anyone else who found my first post inappropriate.  My intentions of joining the Friends of Tom website and forums were not made in the self interest of promoting myself.  I am a huge fan of the Best Show and WFMU and did not realize the poor etiquette of my first post.  I haven’t promoted my blog on any other websites, this was the first.

I am a fan of record scrounging and discovering new music.  I started my blog with the intention of writing on these subjects in an entertaining way and now realize that there are a number of things that need tightening up.

I appreciate your criticism and hope to contribute to the Friends of Tom in a positive way in the future.

Thank you,
Alex

Jason

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 05:45:56 PM »
Gah! I couldn't feel any worse now. Sorry I was so harsh, I was talking about blogs in general mainly, but I have to say yours did not stand out.
I love thrift store record hunting too but everything is picked over these days, you have to be extremely lucky and diligent and go out of your way to find good stuff. I disagree about being able to tell what's there from the first few records, I have to flip through them all because at the back of my mind I'm convinced there's a seam of goodness to be mined.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 04:22:49 PM »
You know what might help a bit: if you were to take a few tracks from these weird thrift store findings, convert them to mp3 and have them playable on the site, or at least downloadable.