Author Topic: Wow!  (Read 8124 times)

KickTheBobo

Re: Wow!
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 10:10:51 PM »
Damn European!

SMARTIES are (fake) fruit-flavored candies.  M&Ms are chocolate.

hmmm.

British/ Canadian M&M knockoff...

or D-List Halloween "treat"?

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2007, 10:50:40 PM »
I think Baudrillard's writing became increasing silly in the 80's. 

I love silly-period Baudrillard.  It's some of my favorite theory.  I guess it's sort of like copping to preferring 90s-era Aerosmith or 80s-era Yes (for the record, I don't like either, but "Bat Out of Hell III" is the best Meat Loaf album).
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

jane

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2007, 11:15:09 PM »
KTB, two words:  Coffee Crisp.  Read them and salivate :)

KickTheBobo

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
KTB, two words:  Coffee Crisp.  Read them and salivate :)

oh for sure. on my last flight back from the 'Couv, the Man was quite inquisitive about the half dozen Coffee Crisps packed in my carry-on. "For my Mum", I said, and things went smoothly.

that orange flavour though, not a fan.

orange & chocolate shalln't nev'er mix!

propr eng? huh.

Sarah

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »
This is why we had to break up, Bobo:  chocolate + orange = a little taste of paradise, and you are just wrong.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 11:25:07 AM »
This is why we had to break up, Bobo:  chocolate + orange = a little taste of paradise, and you are just wrong.

Laurie

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 11:36:18 AM »
Those look like peyote buttons coated in something that may or may not be chocolate.

Sarah

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 12:08:36 PM »

And here's a cake I'm going to make as soon as I can get my hands on a decent orange:

Chocolate Orange Cake

2 small or 1 large thin-skinned orange, approx. 375g total weight
6 eggs
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
200g ground almonds
250g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
50g cocoa
orange peel for decoration if wished

Put the whole orange or oranges in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours or until soft. Drain and, when cool, cut the oranges in half and remove any big pips. Then pulp everything -- pith, peel and all -- in a food processor, or see below if you're proceeding by hand.

Once the fruit is cold, or near cold (though actually I most often cook the oranges the day before I make the cake), preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180C. Butter and line a 20cm springform tin.

Add the eggs, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, almonds, sugar and cocoa to the orange in the food processor. Run the motor until you have a cohesive cake mixture, but still slightly knobbly with the flecks of pureed orange. Or you could chop the fruit finely by hand, and with a wooden spoon beat the eggs one by one into the sugar, alternating with spoons of mixed ground almond and cocoa, then the oranges, though I have to say I've only ever made this the lazy way.

Pour and scrape into the cake tin and bake for an hour, by which time a cake tester should come out pretty well clean. Check after 45 minutes because you may have to cover it with foil to prevent the cake from burning before it is cooked through, or indeed it may need a little less than an hour; it all depends on your oven.

Leave the cake to get cool in the tin, on a cooling rack. When the cake is cold you can take it out of the tin. Decorate with strips of orange peel or coarsely grated zest if you so wish, but it is darkly beautiful in its plain, unadorned state.

Makes about 8 slices.

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 01:58:34 PM »
To bring this thread back on topic: WOW! 
That cake looks awful!

Sarah

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 02:32:39 PM »
Oh, piffle, just ignore the pointless orange rind decoration and read the recipe.  It's going to be scrumptious.