Author Topic: Everyone should listen to the archives regularly  (Read 6085 times)

Sarah

Everyone should listen to the archives regularly
« on: October 07, 2007, 09:30:14 AM »
It is so much fun!  Choose an archived show at random, and relive its joys and woes (at this moment, I'm enjoying Jason's stellar turn as Captain Jack on the 12/29/04 show; Bruce's effort earlier on is noteworthy as well).*  It's especially satisfying to listen to old shows that one first heard live.  Reliving memorable moments, picking up on subtleties one missed first time around . . . good times.

This is what happens when over the past five weeks a person has listened to only one hour of the show live.  As withdrawal becomes more painful, the archives take the edge off the suffering. 

*Lots of fine singing on this one, too.  It's a sad fact that Tom's misery often leads to the best singalongs.

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Everyone should listen to the archives regularly
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »
I think I'm on my third go round through the archives at this point. Since I pretty much listen to the the Best Show exclusively at work, I can sometimes get through two shows a day. It makes the work day just fly by!

JP

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:16:11 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree.

I am trying to get them into itunes via a real audio ripping program so I can make notes and listen to them more systematically and have them organized.

1. My Prerogative - Bobby Brown
2. Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
3. Straight Up - Paula Abdul
4. Miss You Much - Janet Jackson
5. I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi 
6. Toy Solider - Martika 
7. Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals

nerryawesome

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:52:05 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree.

I am trying to get them into itunes via a real audio ripping program so I can make notes and listen to them more systematically and have them organized.

If you figure out a way to do that, I'd be eager to hear about it. I'd like to listen to older episodes at work, but real player streaming is blocked, so having them on my ipod is a feasible solution.

Josh

• Space Champion!
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

JP

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:18:41 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree.

If you figure out a way to do that, I'd be eager to hear about it. I'd like to listen to older episodes at work, but real player streaming is blocked, so having them on my ipod is a feasible solution.

"Trying" I guess implies that I am not currently succeeding in doing it.   I *am* doing it with the free(!) program at http://rawavrecorder.homestead.com/
Realaudio-to-Wav Recorder
1. My Prerogative - Bobby Brown
2. Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
3. Straight Up - Paula Abdul
4. Miss You Much - Janet Jackson
5. I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi 
6. Toy Solider - Martika 
7. Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals

nerryawesome

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »
You guys are awesome! I'm converting the very first show on the archives using the resource you provided, JP.

Next question, do you know of any safe, trustworthy freeware out there that converts wav to mp3? mp3 should be more compact than wav.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 08:25:03 PM »
Is that in real time? I'm assuming there isn't a way to record an MP3 from a .ra stream in anything other than real time.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 08:52:18 PM »
Next question, do you know of any safe, trustworthy freeware out there that converts wav to mp3? mp3 should be more compact than wav.
Audacity and/or dBpoweramp
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Jason

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 09:01:22 PM »
I have been thinking for a while that this site should contain a database of all the bestest Best Show moments, with links to the appropriate archives. Maybe now is the time to explore this.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 09:46:52 PM »
Maybe alternative start times for topics, interviews, guest calls in the archives?

Jixby Phillips

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 03:58:45 AM »
I recently listened to the October 30, 2001 show during a long art class. It started really slow; The callers were real wimps for the first half of the show. But once it picked up, It became one of the best caller-driven shows ever. It even inspired an art contest entry, which I'll be posting later.

OCTOBER 30, 2001: RECOMMENDED! But it requires some patience!

sleepytako

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 08:17:26 AM »
12/29/04?

Is that when he sings "I Fought In A War"? I remember exactly where I was when I listened to that episode, saved and played on my lappy in my car driving through rural San Deigo County. It was a great night, almost ran outta gas however.

neuroticomic

• Policemans heel
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 02:25:30 AM »
i just completed the collection and added them to my secondary ipod, the nano.
so its basically an S&W ipod with 230 calls.
now i just need a best show skin for it.

Sarah

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 08:23:46 AM »
This morning I'm listening to the farewell show (8/31/05).  It's a very emotional experience, one of the emotions being a reawakening of the annoyance I felt at the time, which will become full-blown when I listen to the 9/6 show.*

*I was fairly sure the departure was a hoax but not entirely so (thanks a lot, Bruce).  When it was apparent it was all a joke, the part of me that had been duped felt used, abused, and embarrassed.  I recall being irritable with Tom in the chat when he came crawling back looking for comfort.  I don't know if I've recovered yet.