Author Topic: Indian toddler born with eight limbs..  (Read 10580 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Indian toddler born with eight limbs..
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 03:47:18 PM »
Part of the point I was trying to make is that likely the only reason this little girl from a very poor family in a country where suffering children with correctable afflictions abound is getting this fancy-dancy operation is that some doctors thought it was a neat project that would likely garner them a whole lot of publicity.   She benefits from their crappy motives--thank heaven they're not the only ones to benefit--but those motives are still vile and still at the root of much of what is wrong in the world.  It's all very well to tut-tut at utilitarianism, but what about the -ism (I don't know what to call it) of which this is a symptom?

Well, when you put it this way, I see your point, but unfortunately self-interest, ambition, and moral posturing are inseparable from altruism, and I'm kind of OK with that.  I'm with you that these doctors might be FWDs, but often the worst motives lead to the best results.  Or as a friend once said to me: Leonard Peltier probably doesn't care if you're just going to the Free Leonard Peltier rally to get laid (for the record, he wasn't referring to me).

The Dalai Lama flies in planes and travels in cars;

Can we please leave the Dalai Lama out of this, just for once.

...zing?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 04:45:51 PM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAHHs7Hi8gs[/youtube]
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 12:11:50 AM »

No.

http://spitfirelist.com/f547.html

"This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Sarah

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 03:03:35 PM »
Apparently she's doing well.