Author Topic: Simple Pleasures....  (Read 4348 times)

Andy

• Space Champion!
Simple Pleasures....
« on: November 10, 2007, 01:44:19 PM »
I'm trying to get back to them.  Today: I'm baking some bread.  I'll post some pics later.

What do you guys do when you need to slow down a little?
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Simple Pleasures....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 02:07:14 PM »
I love to cook.  Of the threads I've considered starting is a FOT recipe exchange, in fact.  I make red velvet cupcakes with mascarpone cheese icing, which is delicious, except that the red dye makes you feel a little crazy.

Anyway, I bet there are some good veg recipes around these parts.  Not to hijack.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Forrest

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:15:10 PM »
I don't care what anyone says about this: there is nothing like a warm bath and a good book.

Sarah

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »

If I slowed down any more, I'd be dead.

there is nothing like a warm bath

With bubbles, I hope?

Forrest

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 06:34:45 PM »

With bubbles, I hope?

Well, sure, if my bath lands on a payday.

Sarah

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 07:28:20 PM »
Boy, if you're doing the Secret Santa thing and I get your name, I know what you're getting for Christmas, Forrest.

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
there is nothing like a warm bath

With bubbles, I hope?

!

"This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 04:32:48 AM »
I ate cookies and soymilk tonight in bed. It was awesome.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

scotttsss

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:39:36 PM »
I think the FOT recipe exchange is an awesome idea...I love to cook too, and I've been getting obsessed with sourdough (naturally leavened) bread for a few years now. 

ingredients = about 85% high protein bread flour, about 15 percent whole grain or rye flour, about 1% salt, and about 65% water (that 65% of the weight of the flour).  You do a few rises and folding techniques..bake it in a screaming hot oven lined with bricks... wonderful.  I've been maintaining a sourdough starter for a while and it's really interesting and ...yes, a relaxing simple pleasure.  the learning curve on bread is something else though...it's a trial and error thing which you have to love to do in order to take on..  but it's well worth it.  One day I'd like to build a brick oven outside and maybe sell bread at farmers markets or something. 

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of cooking my bread in my outdoor ceramic grill, which I can get rocket hot (close to 800 degrees maintained.)  We use it for homemade pizzas right now and it's unbelievable the difference it makes when you can put that kind of heat to the food.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Sarah

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 10:15:30 AM »
It's nem Maillard reactions.

scotttsss

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 01:48:41 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of cooking my bread in my outdoor ceramic grill, which I can get rocket hot (close to 800 degrees maintained.)  We use it for homemade pizzas right now and it's unbelievable the difference it makes when you can put that kind of heat to the food.

That's an excellent idea in fact.  You could put your bread directly on a stone in the grill, or use a pre-heated dutch oven or the "La Cloche" oven.  The cloche simulates the hearth oven effect, maintaining moisture and giving your bread the crust which is unique to hearth ovens or professional ovens.  Conventional ovens like we all have lose heat in certain spots, and don't get hot enough for most breads and especially pizzas.  What I do is preheat my oven to 500 degrees with the cloche inside for a good hour, and then carefully drop the risen dough into it, put it in with the lid back on, let it bake for 30 minutes, take the lid off and reduce it to 450 for 15 minutes to allow the crust to finish off the browning process.  when the interior of the bread reaches 200 degrees, that is that.  wonderful. 

Luis here has an even better idea.  http://www.spearfishing.net/oven.html  ...wow.