Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 12244 times)

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Amazon Kindle
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
It is very good at displaying PDFs, and although it can theoretically display .CBZs (not .CBRs) natively, comics work much better if you turn them into PDFs.

I've tried that on my Kindle DX. How do you deal with the formatting problem?

Calibre is a really ugly program, but it is useful for organizing and tagging my collection of ePubs, PDFs, and so forth--and I use it to convert things to a Kindle-ready format.

How is it an "ugly" program? Is it just that converting to PDF using Calibre is a big pain in the ass?

I may try checking something out from the Salt Lake library and converting it with Calibre just to give it a shot. Can you forsee any problems with my doing that?
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »
Use Calibre, disable comics processing and turning images to b&w, then use Kindle DX output profile.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00:38 PM »
I change my mind about this stuff too often.  Don't listen to me.

E-ink is vastly superior to LCD for reading text.  Nonetheless, I got sick of traveling with a laptop, a Kindle, and a smartphone.  So I bought an iPad and am returning the DX.  I might probably get the cheap, WiFi-only Kindle for reading ebooks.  But motherfucker, the iPad is better for comics and PDFs.  It was also kind of annoying that the DX has no WiFi and thus no free document delivery.  Plus, since I can use a bluetooth keyboard with the iPad, I can do real writing on it, which is most of what I usually use a laptop for.

I did read Super Sad True Love Story and Vidal's Washington DC on the Kindle.  Those are both very good novels.