Author Topic: Thank you New York Times AND The New Yorker  (Read 12513 times)

Josh

• Space Champion!
Thank you New York Times AND The New Yorker
« on: November 26, 2007, 01:19:07 PM »
for your timely article on airlines cutting back on services in coach, a trend which apparently has gone unnoticed for years until Michelle Higgins started digging. Who but the paper of record would take up the cause of the little guy, like "Doug Fesler, an executive at a medical research group in Washington," who had to pack his own lunch on his flight to Hawaii?
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Thank you New York Times
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »
That's the NYT for you.  All the news that was fit to print between one and fifteen years ago, plus government press releases.  I can't wait for the article on cocaine and kickball in Greenpoint in the April 22, 2035 Style section.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:23:46 PM »
But did the NYT highlight the start of this year's holiday shopping season with photos of insane shoppers standing outside of [insert name of popular electronics chain here] at 6AM awaiting their discounted portable DVD players and digital cameras?

Now THAT's breaking news.

from the land of pleasant living

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:07:37 PM »
I always love the instances when the NY Times publishes an article that seems to imply (to me at least) that the average reader is a genteel resident of an affluent community with an annual income well into the six figures and an expensive home or two.  I am hard pressed to cite a specific example (well, at least I know what I mean...), but I'm thinking of articles about the market for real estate that are written as though only a sizable manse would qualify as a decent residence.  Granted, I am a loyal subscriber, and have been since I was a college freshman.  But I still feel this way about the Times occasionally (and I really felt that way when I was in college!)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
But did the NYT highlight the start of this year's holiday shopping season with photos of insane shoppers standing outside of [insert name of popular electronics chain here] at 6AM awaiting their discounted portable DVD players and digital cameras?

Now THAT's breaking news.

Wait, when did this happen?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Josh

• Space Champion!
Re: Thank you New York Times AND The New Yorker
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:39:38 PM »
Try reading this article and not wanting to smash this woman's face.

Actually, fuck it. Maybe Cara Hannah is onto something and I'm the one doing it wrong. This is the new "The Secret" guys. Get in on the ground level and you'll never have to interview for "an 'unnameable' position at Macy’s" again (ohmygodiwouldjustdie). I mean, when life hands you a lemon, you start making lemonade (in your midtown Manhattan apartment).
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

John Junk

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 03:05:16 PM »
I kinda like this girl's pluck.  and her snootiness is necessary for her to be fabulous.  Her fabulousness is necessary for her to get work touching peoples' hair. 

When life hands you a lemon, you throw a lemon party!

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:42:59 AM »
Is it just me or has there been an article about Facebook on the front page of the NYTimes websight at least once a week for the past few months?

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »
Is it just me or has there been an article about Facebook on the front page of the NYTimes websight at least once a week for the past few months?

I don't know about the NYT, but the media is obsessed with Second Life, too. Its funny because they make it seem like it's taking the country by storm, but I'm a huge computer nerd and don't know a single person who plays it.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »
Yeah, I actually tried it because of all the hype, and it kept freezing my computer.  Plus it was really boring.

Spoony

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 01:42:28 PM »

Actually, that article was about this years popularity of Cabbage Patch Kids.

Parents go LOCO for that shit!

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 02:05:54 PM »
Yeah, I actually tried it because of all the hype, and it kept freezing my computer.  Plus it was really boring.

I'm doing an educational project in Second Life for my senior seminar class.  Of course, no one in the class has ever used it.  It's pretty much just full of furries and dejected WoW nerds, but my professor keeps trying to convince us how cutting edge and cool it is.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:05:40 PM »

I'm doing an educational project in Second Life for my senior seminar class.  Of course, no one in the class has ever used it.  It's pretty much just full of furries and dejected WoW nerds, but my professor keeps trying to convince us how cutting edge and cool it is.

Your professor probably has a device upholstered in pink plush teddy bear skin under his desk. 

Susannah

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 07:53:17 PM »
Do you guys ever look at www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.com and www.whitewhine.com ?  They're pretty good and take shots at a lot of NYT/New Yorker-type "Trends" articles.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 03:59:48 PM »
NY Times has a slideshow/fashion spread of art handlers in designer jumpsuits this week.  Just great.  As if it wasn't enough that the people running the galleries think they're god's gift to the universe, now even the deck hands have their superiority complex legitimized.  These guys are total traitors in the Slobs vs. Snobs War.  I don't like it, I tell ya.