Author Topic: supporting the show w/out iTunes?  (Read 2013 times)

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
supporting the show w/out iTunes?
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
I hate iTunes so much, it drives me crazy that podcasting is so dependent on it. If anyone has suggestions for how to best support the show w/out it I'm all ears!

(my wife has an iphone so i'll be subscribing/reviewing through her stupid itunes anyway :( )
Your vigor for life appalls me.

The Brighamist

• Policemans heel
Re: supporting the show w/out iTunes?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »
I use Overcast on my iPhone to actually listen to podcasts (before that I used Downcast), but I used the Apple Podcasts app to subscribe to The Best Show to help bump it up in the iTunes rating, even though I won't listen to it in that app.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
I hate iTunes so much, it drives me crazy that podcasting is so dependent on it. If anyone has suggestions for how to best support the show w/out it I'm all ears!

(my wife has an iphone so i'll be subscribing/reviewing through her stupid itunes anyway :( )

I'm in a similar boat as you. I've never owned a single Apple product in my life. I used to use iTunes on my PC for listening to the few podcasts I listened to regularly. My iTunes account was hacked a couple of years ago by some mutant who decided to go on a spending spree buying digital albums by artists I despise.

Here's things you can do to support the show that do not require subscribing to the show's podcast on iTunes:
1. Tell people about the show. If you're on social media use the #BestShow4Life hashtag when you post stuff about the show. If you have friends/family that use iTunes, ask them to subscribe to the podcast. The Newbridge infomercial is on YouTube; share that with your friends and family. It just might be the gateway to getting them on board with "The Best Show."
2. Buy some stuff from Stereolaffs. When you buy shirts and CDs from there you are directly supporting what Tom and Jon are doing. BONUS: Sometimes your package contains a special button and/or sticker.
3. Pre-order the Scharpling & Wurster "Best Of The Best Show" box set that Numero Group is releasing in a few months. I know that $100 seems like a lot, but keep in mind that it's 16 CDs + a book and other goodies.
4. As sponsors and advertisers are introduced support them to the extent that you can.

There will be other opportunities to support the show in the future. Tom will give you the lowdown on what you can do as things develop.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
thanks for that! i'm secure that i'm doing all that i can to support what is pretty literally my favorite thing in the world
Your vigor for life appalls me.

euphoriafish

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 01:27:14 AM »
How about social media-ing and forum posting the libsyn feed.  I dunno, is this a new one or is the old feed for the WFMU show continued into this?

http://thebestshow.libsyn.com

I wanna share the fhqwgads out of this but don't know which other comedy forums I should be hanging out on.
Looking for keyboard lute bandmates in Lord of the Rings Online to play songs from Spaced Out (Shatner and Nimoy) and any other greatest hits.  Find Percabald on Brandywine server most days 9-12 US cst, O to friend, IM to IM.  30 min maybe to new hobbit minstrel with lute.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:58:27 AM »
How about social media-ing and forum posting the libsyn feed.  I dunno, is this a new one or is the old feed for the WFMU show continued into this?

http://thebestshow.libsyn.com

I wanna share the fhqwgads out of this but don't know which other comedy forums I should be hanging out on.

That's the link for the current show. Share away!