Author Topic: Ugly Betty?  (Read 3076 times)

Emily

• Space Champion!
Ugly Betty?
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »
anyone else like Ugly Betty? i just started watching it (borrowing season 1 from the bibliotheque) and it's pretty great. BETTER THAN JUNO. and there are quite a few New Jersey references here and there (always fun when someone mentions Bayonne in a sitcom)

Anyway i had sort of prejudged the show as "lame" but now that i've been watching it, it really shines through. it's not like amazing or a must see, but it's fun and cute and funny. maybe the humor is even unexpectedly good.

this will probably be another thread that no one replies to, but that's ok.
i like Ugly Betty. i'm not ashamed!

KickTheBobo

Re: Ugly Betty?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »
Si. Me gusto.

Sarah

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:50:21 PM »
I like it fine, although I'm getting a tad sick of all the characters.  Except Amanda,  who is often very funny and has become my favorite.

Jason

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:53:32 PM »

Pity reply.

John Junk

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:57:29 PM »
I watched a couple of episodes.  My first impression was it was better than I expected. Then my second impression was that it was as good as I expected (not very...).  I can't handle all the obvious Disney references peppered throughout.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »
I've never watched it but an acquaintance of mine (ex-Juilliard kid) is in it, apparently playing a very flamboyant gay guy.  His name is Michael Urie.  So it's OK in my book.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 11:52:27 PM »
And the race for namedropper of the year is on...
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 01:35:49 AM »

Pity reply.

thank you.

Sarah, I like Amanda too.

John Junk, I hadn't noticed the Disney references, except for Betty's Little Mermaid sheets, which made me smile.

John Junk

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
Ew boy, how about the episode where Betty and her boyfriend sing the theme to Beauty And The Beast to each other?  That made me frown.

Sarah

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 01:17:47 PM »
Luckily for me, I'm mostly ignorant of latter-day Disney, so I didn't even recognize the song.  I'm sure other allusions have gone right over my head as well.

John Junk

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
Luckily for me, I'm mostly ignorant of latter-day Disney, so I didn't even recognize the song.

It's the one with the phrase "Beauty and the Beast" in it.

Sarah

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »
Obviously I did not pick up on that subtle clue, Junk.  I can be most oblivious at times; I inherit the talent from my father.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »
Ew boy, how about the episode where Betty and her boyfriend sing the theme to Beauty And The Beast to each other?  That made me frown.

Wait, was Betty supposed to be "the Beast" in that relationship? That's going a little too far!  >:(

John Junk

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 03:50:38 PM »
I'm being a little unfair: this song was in a pretty early episode.  The boyfriend in it is no longer in the show, as far as I can tell from my extremely not-thorough monitoring of the show, but he was the nerd from Wet Hot American Summer who talked like a robot.  So it's a toss up as to who the Beast is in that mix.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 11:33:56 PM »
And the race for namedropper of the year is on...

I'll armwrestle Laurie for it.  I actually didn't think it was particularly impressive - I've never watched the show and probably won't.  He's just a good guy and I'm glad he's got a job.

(Edited to fix a typo)
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.