Author Topic: Oh, dear - I didn't want to post this, but it's so horribly, horribly accurate  (Read 5122 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
I think it's There Will Be Rewinding.  Or maybe No Country for Old Home Video Formats?

What's with all the Mos Def hate?  I actually liked that rock album he did a lot, but I haven't heard the latest.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Beth

• Space Champion!
#67 is really funny. I make it a point never to stand still at concerts where people are supposed to be dancing, and gleefully revel in the glares and eye rolls that I receive. I am also a firm believer in the philosophy that head bobbing doesn't count as movement.

This phenomena does seem to dissipate more and more as you move further away from the east coast and west coasts. I feel like the most dancing happens in the middle of America.

Other than that, the blog was funny, but I don't think that it accurately speaks for all white people. It's more: "stuff white upper class liberal people and their white hipster children love".

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Other than that, the blog was funny, but I don't think that it accurately speaks for all white people. It's more: "stuff white upper class liberal people and their white hipster children love".

Yes.  I forget sometimes that many (most?) of the FOT are not ensconced in that lifestyle. 

Personally, I found it more true-to-life about a certain block of the people I know than "funny" in the strict sense.  It just hit them so accurately - I was making a mental checklist as I went along. 

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

God Stewart

I make it a point never to stand still at concerts where people are supposed to be dancing, and gleefully revel in the glares and eye rolls that I receive. I am also a firm believer in the philosophy that head bobbing doesn't count as movement.

Right on Beth.

Worse still are the scenestraps in the back snearing at the band. You can almost hear their thoughts. Like, "Once I put out my Fischer-Price tape loop experiments CD-R, it's gonna turn this whole music thing on it's head."

Gugh. DO NOT LIKE.

Fido

• Space Champion!
And these people are supposed to be bad?

I am at home today feeling ill and have too much damn time on my hands.  So I was reading this nonsense -- my mistake -- and came up with a list of all the things on that list that I like.  To wit:

Study abroad programs
Mos Def
Recycling
Tasty sandwiches
Bicycles
Toyota Priuses
Natural medicine
Juno
Old school hiphop
Dogs
Sarah Silverman
Patton Oswalt
Zach Galifanakis
Brian Posehn
Irony (in moderation)
Whole Foods Markets
Arts degrees
The New York Times
Asian fusion restaurants
Public radio
Amy Goodman
Plays
Sushi
Indie music
Apple products
Netflix
The Daily Show
Colbert Report
Architecture
Wrigley Field
Marathons
Manhattan
Brooklyn
David Sedaris
Wine
Writers’ workshops
Traveling
Awareness
Yoga
Having black friends (or any kind of friends, regardless of ethnicity)
Tea
Nonprofit organizations
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
Barack Obama
Diversity
Organic foods
Farmers Markets
Film festivals
Coffee
Other religions

Maybe I'd be a better person if I were the kind of white guy who embraced some of the following:

Dick Cheney
yacht clubs
David Allen Coe
muddin'
all terrain vehicles
Hummers
Conservative Republicans
Christian fundamentalism
the Klan
tax breaks for the rich
homophobia
creationism
Tim LaHaye
"The Rapture"
exurbs
racist jokes
gun clubs
obesity
"white power"

yeeeeee hawww!

emma

I know some people who like Japan, but they're Japanese so I don't think they count.

Andy

• Space Champion!
some people are taking this WAAAAAAY too seriously.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

samir

• Space Champion!
What's with all the Mos Def hate?  I actually liked that rock album he did a lot, but I haven't heard the latest.

Black on Both Sides is my favourite rap album. FACT.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

dania

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Here's some music "stuff" that this white person like:

http://www.virb.com/us_girls

I just heard it today.  The two best tracks are "Jungle Jokes" and "Days".

By the way, I agree that this thread IS being taken too seriously.  Let's find more things that are awesome instead of awful.  A nice mix of both would be great.  I mean, the awful stuff is pretty funny usually but....... 

Fido

• Space Champion!
Um, sorry.  I guess I was the one who took this thread too seriously?  I meant my response to appear more self-depricating and jovial than it probably did.  My apologies.

Beth

• Space Champion!

Yes.  I forget sometimes that many (most?) of the FOT are not ensconced in that lifestyle. 

Perhaps then, we should add TBSOWFMU to the list.

This blog is quickly becoming a sensation with me and my white friends. Hats off to you, buffcoat for posting this delicious waste of time. I love it.
It's also pretty hilarious when two things that white people like overlap...like Micheal Gondry and Most Def.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Micheal Gondry and Most Deft Punk.

Fixed.

Beth

• Space Champion!
Micheal Gondry and Most Deft Punk.

Fixed.

har har. I just noticed that I wrote "Most" instead of Mos. I truly am white!