Author Topic: Found  (Read 3805 times)

kimota

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Found
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:39:45 AM »
Found is a pretty cool magazine and I have been collecting found stuff for years.  Anyone else here collect found stuff and have scans to post?  Here are a few of my finds...

Laurie

Re: Found
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:49:50 AM »
I found this bizarre tiny photo on a soda machine years ago. It was taken in 1974, according to the back, and it featured a bunch of kids with what appeared to be an upside down live oak in the background. Bizarre.

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »
I collect little tickets and stubs that I find. I know that sounds weird, but there are always great typography that have been naturally distressed that I can scan in or cut up and use in my work. I'm always hording bit of design. Especially old postcards that I find at flea markets.

Of course this also makes me a weird pack-rat who lives in a fire trap.

But a professional, nonetheless.

If I have time tonight I'll scan some in.

C

kimota

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »
I collect little tickets and stubs that I find. I know that sounds weird, but there are always great typography that have been naturally distressed that I can scan in or cut up and use in my work. I'm always hording bit of design. Especially old postcards that I find at flea markets.

Of course this also makes me a weird pack-rat who lives in a fire trap.

But a professional, nonetheless.

C

well put!  I am a pack-rat of the weird as well.  I have tons of stuff I may never find a use for, but you never know.  I found out most of the males on my mom's side are pack-rats as well so I don't stress about it as much as I used to.  It was relieving finding a hereditary explaination for it.

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 01:27:11 PM »
I used to collect religious propaganda.  Now I suppose I collect stray images and phrases off the Internet, which I print out and thumbtack to a wall in my kitchen.  I don't plan on removing anything, just layering things as the years go by.  I frequently feel rather insane when I do this, but what the hell. 

kimota

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 01:31:08 PM »
I used to collect religious propaganda.  Now I suppose I collect stray images and phrases off the Internet, which I print out and thumbtack to a wall in my kitchen.  I don't plan on removing anything, just layering things as the years go by.  I frequently feel rather insane when I do this, but what the hell. 

kind of a modern palimpsest in a way, what a neat idea.  My refrigerator is kind of like that but more out of laziness than some kind of plan.  Would you post a pic of your kitchen wall?

Sarah

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:37:10 PM »
No digital camera.  Indeed, no working scanner, so even if I took a conventional photo I'd have no way of converting it into something postable here.  Maybe someday.  A lunatic I know got a digital camera for his birthday; perhaps he'll have it on him the next time he visits.

Sploops

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 01:55:44 PM »
I got one up: http://foundmagazine.com/find/2322

But it never beats the one my brother found and never submitted -- a shopping list that included nipple shields, beer, and a tape of Die Hard II. 

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 01:57:09 PM »
i'm not into this stuff

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »
I love found stuff!

for awhile I was purposely planting my own found objects around jersey. I'd leave photos on the street, put letters from old girlfriends in library books, etc.

I just liked the idea that someone sometime was finding my old stuff and inventing a whole new life for it.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Spoony

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »

well put!  I am a pack-rat of the weird as well.  I have tons of stuff I may never find a use for, but you never know.  I found out most of the males on my mom's side are pack-rats as well so I don't stress about it as much as I used to.  It was relieving finding a hereditary explaination for it.

There are some great books that are put out that exclusively deal with this. I smarty-pants way of justifying it is that you can learn about culture from it's discarded material.

Kind of like how I go through Bruce's garbage at night when I think he's asleep...

PS to Emily...
I confused you with Erica last week when I was asking about your smoking habit. Really sorry about that. It must have seemed weird. I didn't have my glasses on or something like that when I was looking at the chat.

Spoony

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
I love found stuff!

for awhile I was purposely planting my own found objects around jersey. I'd leave photos on the street, put letters from old girlfriends in library books, etc.

I just liked the idea that someone sometime was finding my old stuff and inventing a whole new life for it.

Kind of like that kid in The Squid and the Whale? I have that habit too.

Ignore Function

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »
Is the top photo the band Europe?

kimota

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 08:36:45 AM »
Is the top photo the band Europe?
I think it may be Loverboy.  I found two binders full of glossy photos and promo stuff of bands that played at Alpine Valley in 1980, some autographed to a Leslie but most are not.  There are all kinds of interesting things in those binders.