Author Topic: Malkmus on Fox News  (Read 6975 times)

John Junk 2.0

Re: Malkmus on Fox News
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Pavement crushes Breeders, but in the Cut Your Hair v. Canonball? Canonball smashes. Its catchier and poppier and weirder at the same time. If you go by merits, its better and if you were to project which would be a hit, its much more striking a song.

I'd give you that. 

On the other hand, I'd say that Cut Your Hair is way catchier than "The Sweater Song", which I always considered a Pavement rip off, but the fact is if Pavement wrote three albums of Cut Your Hair and were on a major label, they'd probably be rich.  In the end, they wrote like 5 radio-ready pop songs over the course of 8 years or whatever, and hundreds of awesome shit that was a little too weird for normal people.  Part of me thinks if they had continued in the Crooked Rain veign for one more album they may have struck it rich, but instead they came out with Wowee Zowee, which cemented them as legends and buried them as cross-overs. One thing I think is cool about Malkmus is he just throws out these references in interviews and songs and he's really just acknowledging that other bands exist and they're not all necessarily in a big love club together... I always thought it was cool that he respected the Stone Temple Pilot's singer's not taking the bait (or complete obliviousness) of the Range Life "dis", while Billy Corgan was going batshit about it.  I think Kim Deal wouldn't feel so threatened if she hadn't smoked and shot up all that "Cannonball" cash.

Laurie

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »
Oh man, Billy Corgan gets crazier with each passing year. I love it.

dania

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 11:18:52 PM »

Nah, Breeders crush Pavement.

Pavement's still good, but the Breeders are still phenominal. Last Splash? One of my desert island albums...

AGREED!  100% on that completely.  Wait, why is this in pink??  with red glow?  What?  No I'm not implying that women are smarter in every way-I mean ANY way. 

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 01:41:10 AM »
I think Kim Deal wouldn't feel so threatened if she hadn't smoked and shot up all that "Cannonball" cash.

Kelley Deal was the one that did the drugs, not Kim.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »
I think Kim Deal wouldn't feel so threatened if she hadn't smoked and shot up all that "Cannonball" cash.

Kelley Deal was the one that did the drugs, not Kim.

I'm pretty sure they both did the drugs.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 11:30:23 PM »
New Breeders albums next week.  Supposed to be great.

ben

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »
the Amps were my favorite Pixies sideproject/spinoff/whatever.  But Pavement crushes them all.  Though if I was in a fantasy music league I would probably draft Kim Deal over Malkmus.  Stephen Malkmus reminds me of Christian Laettner for some reason.
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 06:14:26 AM »
Is "crush" really the right verb to be using when talking about Pavement and the Breeders? It's not like we're talking Led Zeppelin vs. Black Sabbath. Wouldn't something like "ironically barbs" or "mocks its collection of Swell Maps 7"s" be more appropriate?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Pat K

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 08:53:33 AM »
Is "crush" really the right verb to be using when talking about Pavement and the Breeders?

Maybe "shrugs"? "Smirks"?
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 09:02:27 AM »
Pavement hits the Breeders' plane down. There's no survivors.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »
I interviewed Spiral Stairs once, when the first Preston School of Industry was coming out. He was very charming, and was particularly stoked when I told him that 'Stereo' was an indie-night staple in London.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Pat K

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »
Pavement hits the Breeders' plane down. There's no survivors.

I laughed very hard at this.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

dania

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 06:47:56 PM »
Is "crush" really the right verb to be using when talking about Pavement and the Breeders? It's not like we're talking Led Zeppelin vs. Black Sabbath. Wouldn't something like "ironically barbs" or "mocks its collection of Swell Maps 7"s" be more appropriate?

Ok, Breeders walk all over Pavement.  Makes more sense right? 

Tim K in DC

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 05:42:59 PM »
the Amps were my favorite Pixies sideproject/spinoff/whatever.  But Pavement crushes them all.  Though if I was in a fantasy music league I would probably draft Kim Deal over Malkmus.  Stephen Malkmus reminds me of Christian Laettner for some reason.

The Catholics were my favorite Pixies side project/spinoff/whatever. Two words: Rich Gilbert.
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -