Author Topic: I Don't Get It '08  (Read 32938 times)

Dorvid Barnas

Re: I Don't Get It '08
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 02:55:26 AM »
Boondock Saints is awful.  The documentary Overnight, which shows Troy Duffy systematically torpedoing his career and life, is very enjoyable in a King of Kong-mutant parade kind of way. 

You know the guy's a jerk when you find yourself rooting for Harvey Weinstein.

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 04:01:36 AM »
I think most reasonable people hate Boondock Saints, right?  I definitely do.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 04:35:27 AM »
I never saw Boondock Saints, but Carlito's Way was terrible. Does anyone like it? It seems popular, but maybe that's because it's a razzie.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 05:55:04 AM »
I think most reasonable people hate Boondock Saints, right?  I definitely do.

can't recall one thing i even mildly liked about that film - and i LOVED "zardoz" - so it's obvious that i'm extremely forgiving when it comes to looking past a movie's shortcomings.

it definitely has it's supporters though, so there is some type of appeal there - but i don't get it..

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »
My roommate owns Boondock Saints.  It's one of the things we don't talk about. 

TL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 09:17:37 AM »
-Sleater-Kinney

I only like 'The Woods', which is the least Sleater-Kinney-ey of all of them. It's the aural equivalent of 'Mission Impossible 3', which came out the same year, and I must say I very much enjoyed. All the pre-'Woods' stuff, though, I don't care for.

I think The Hot Rock and Dig me Out are great records.

Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

TL

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 09:19:19 AM »

- Straight guys who know/ care about fashion

To care about people caring about it is to care about it.
An anti-fashion statement is still a fashion statement.

Pete Velcro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 09:56:27 AM »
Not only is Boondack Saints an incredibly stupid Tarantino knock-off, it's really homophobic and racist in a way that just makes it embarassing to watch--it thinks it's being edgy. I also know people who liked it, and they're all cine-dummies.

Jason

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »
Turbonegro. People rave about this bad and I really feel like they're the sort of thing I'd love. I have Ass Cobra and another one and I just don't get it.

Spoony

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 10:43:15 AM »
Turbonegro has worn out their welcome. I have a friend who loves them, and he's always singing the new album to me. That makes me very uncomfortable. I always thought of Turbonegro as Fat-Guy Punk.

Last thing I'm going to say on Boondock Saints.... and this goes back to what Mr. Tom has said about Juno... Pulp Fiction was fine and everything, but it spawned a decade of shitty shitty rip-offs. Tough-for-the-sake-of-tough crime flicks by indy directors who read the back of every film noir video cassette without actually watching the film. (Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead come to mind.) Cramming as much drugs and violence as you can into your movie doesn't make it edgy. Just lowest common denominator. Boondock Saints was the lowest of all of them.

That's My Word!

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2008, 11:36:58 AM »
Last thing I'm going to say on Boondock Saints.... and this goes back to what Mr. Tom has said about Juno... Pulp Fiction was fine and everything, but it spawned a decade of shitty shitty rip-offs. Tough-for-the-sake-of-tough crime flicks by indy directors who read the back of every film noir video cassette without actually watching the film. (Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead come to mind.) Cramming as much drugs and violence as you can into your movie doesn't make it edgy. Just lowest common denominator. Boondock Saints was the lowest of all of them.

Speaking of this, I saw the first shitty thing The Wire made popular that we will be seeing for the next few years in 'smart' indie thrillers: the idea that the city is a character.
I just saw Gone Baby Gone. I don't get it. A bunch of smart people are saying that its a good movie but its a standard noir. But Ben Affleck watched The Wire and decided to make Boston a character in the movie so there is all this unnecessary 'atmosphere' in the begining which takes up a bunch of time and then tons of plot is jammed into the last half of the movie so quickly that nothing makes much sense.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 11:46:11 AM »

Listen here, Siddhartha: what I meant was not so much fashion, as Haute Coutere. The fact that I even know the name Marc Jacobs irritates me to no end. How his name took up residence in synpase #4325B is anyone's guess, but I would rather have a tidbit about the War of 1812 in there instead (Is that when the Canucks burnt down the White House? gotta check Wikipedia on that). All I know is this: you ever catch me strollin' into the local Dunkin' Donuts looking like this, feel free to pop me in the breadbasket.

Julie

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 11:53:42 AM »
The guy who dressed up horses.
I have a long history of booing

TL

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 12:04:57 PM »

Listen here, Siddhartha: what I meant was not so much fashion, as Haute Coutere. The fact that I even know the name Marc Jacobs irritates me to no end. How his name took up residence in synpase #4325B is anyone's guess, but I would rather have a tidbit about the War of 1812 in there instead (Is that when the Canucks burnt down the White House? gotta check Wikipedia on that). All I know is this: you ever catch me strollin' into the local Dunkin' Donuts looking like this, feel free to pop me in the breadbasket.

First of all, "Listen here, Siddhartha:" = best opening line of a response to a post of mine I've ever gotten.  Second, my point is just that you obviously DO care - you have opinions!  Trust me - I'm with you on which tidbits of info I'd rather have clogging my synapses - but it is what it is - I just want you to be able to embrace your inner non-"straight"-ness.

bruce

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 12:16:19 PM »
Turbonegro. People rave about this bad and I really feel like they're the sort of thing I'd love. I have Ass Cobra and another one and I just don't get it.
It really comes down to a really dumb idea of a joke and how long they can beat the dead horse of the concept.