Author Topic: I Don't Get It '08  (Read 32912 times)

John Junk 2.0

Re: I Don't Get It '08
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2008, 11:50:30 PM »

I don't get Takashi Murakami.  How is his stuff different from Manga again?  Is it just recontextualized, like a visually assaulting, infantile, Japanese version of a readymade?

Pretty much.  I think you do get it, sadly.  Also, he's popular because people who don't usually go for art "understand" it.  Because they also "understand" buying shit at The Disney Store.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2008, 11:52:36 PM »

I don't get Takashi Murakami.  How is his stuff different from Manga again?  Is it just recontextualized, like a visually assaulting, infantile, Japanese version of a readymade?

Pretty much.  I think you do get it, sadly.  Also, he's popular because people who don't usually go for art "understand" it.  Because they also "understand" buying shit at The Disney Store.

Here we go again...
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2008, 07:48:58 PM »
I'll echo FOTChan . I don't mind it really but I don't get how all of these people came out of the woodwork because they get to be anonymous. Do we have a community of deviants hiding from the FBI? Or are the regular forum FOTs taking on alter egos? Or,  are we seeing the people who think they're more important than they really are and need to remain nameless? I don't get it. I don't mind it... I just don't understand.

I also don't get most of the records being critically acclaimed this year.

justinline

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2008, 11:11:09 PM »
Wii, and Wii parties.  I hate all videogames anyway, but this is too much.  No, I don't want to go over the your house to play Wii tennis...but I do want to play tennis.  There's an empty park next door. Let's play!

Hey, you know what sounds like more fun than going over to your apartment to play Wii bowling?  Actually going bowling.  I'll drive.

Bowling?  Tennis?  Let's go.  We could reenact Billie Jean King versus Bobby Riggs.

Handsome Homeless

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2008, 11:55:37 AM »
Public rehab stints (e.g., Celebrity Rehab).

It seems counterproductive to be proud of showing off your shortcomings or to be regaining fame from them.
You can't chase the train living off the nights' remains.

Handsome Homeless

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
Other things I don't get:

- Pizza Hut Orea Pizza thing
- The Gloucester Pregnancy Pact -  especially sleeping with the homeless, no matter how handsome they are.
- Santagold
- NYPD starting salary being $22,750/year
You can't chase the train living off the nights' remains.

Sarah

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
If one's sole aim is to get pregnant, with no eye to health concerns or help with child rearing, etc., then it doesn't really matter whether one's partner is homeless, I would think.

Miss

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »
Or,  are we seeing the people who think they're more important than they really are and need to remain nameless?

I really don't think it's an issue of anybody at all thinking they're more important or better than anybody. It's just a fun way to communicate, no holds barred. It has NOTHING to do with thinking you're cooler than others, otherwise wouldn't people be attaching their names to it?

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
Nothing '08 about my "I Don't Get It". Just the same stuff that's bugged me for years.

MST3K -- Maybe I haven't seen enough to judge. What little I'd seen in the past wasn't funny. Should I give it another chance? Should I just move on?

You'd best be joking
ALSO
rifftrax.com

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2008, 02:46:45 PM »
Other things I don't get:

- Pizza Hut Orea Pizza thing

Taco Bell + Pizza Hut in the same building.  There's just something so unappetizing and weird about cramming the two together. 

Not to mention, remember when Pizza Hut was still at least sort of a restaurant?  Now it shares real estate with Taco Bell.  Ick.

<<<<<

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »
I used to think pretty highly of all the FOTs. Now I know that I'm surrounded by fucking DIRTBAGS... I'm just not sure who they are, because they're so fucking PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE that they need a blind forum to let their scummy, nerdy little selves flourish.

FOTs are essentially a bunch of strangers.  I don't need the anonymity of FOTchan because I'm anonymous right now.

I'd recommend not projecting positive or negative traits upon people you don't know.  You'll wind up less disappointed in the end.  People are what they are, good and not as good.  ;)

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »
You're right, of course, angstrom. I just needed the release.

I always put Pizza Hut on the same level as Wendy's: Not quite a real resturaunt, but does have carpet. Now it might as well be Sbarro.
"You said it. I didn't."

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2008, 03:51:25 PM »
Also, the brilliant new Weezer album.

The only person I've heard say anything good about the new Weezer album was DeRogatis.  That being said, I definitely don't get the new My Morning Jacket album, man there are some just awful tracks on that one.

Stan

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2008, 03:59:39 PM »
F-O-T-Chan. I don't get it. And that's... [pant]... that's cool. Nothing's forcing me to look at it, except my own less admirable qualities.

But if I posted that video of the guy blasting Merzbow at his kid under my own name, you would all think I was some sort of horrible person.
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

emdasher

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNLU0Ipdl4[/youtube]

This one too:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQJ2SegGWyc[/youtube]

So Twix is some kind of new date-rape drug, then?