Author Topic: Best Show is Back!  (Read 3188 times)

federationofideas

• Plantar Fasciitis
Best Show is Back!
« on: November 02, 2020, 08:34:33 PM »
This intro sound collage is amazing. I am sooooo excited for this episode. Thank you Tom, Mike, Dudio, and Pat

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Best Show is Back!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 03:58:00 PM »
The Big Question is: will they have callers?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »

He answered that - yes, when the board is back up.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 01:26:30 AM »

He answered that - yes, when the board is back up.

I wrote that before I heard it on the podcast (I was still in the collage.)

_____

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfjNpgZ4C5Q <--- They play this Nilsson song alot on WTWW.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 12:47:25 PM »
Back tonight for REALZ!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve from GB

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »
Is the chat disabled?

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 09:12:37 PM »
Is the chat disabled?

Seems to be. We used to use newbridge4life.com after this forum crashed, but that site vanished.

QuizGuy66

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 09:27:01 PM »
Where will I go for my dice rolls?   ???
Glad the show is back though :)
“You can’t be George either,” he said. “You’ll have to be Railroad.”

“But I don’t want to be Railroad,” I protested.

- George Railroad Martin
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/about-george/speeches/here-i-am-again/

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 04:55:01 PM »
Where will I go for my dice rolls?   ???
Glad the show is back though :)

We need to set up a chat site. I know diddly-squat about actually programming IT sites (my last programming was in BASIC as a child and very rudimentary) so anybody here (*stage whisper* including the forum sysops) who can do so, please set one up.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 01:08:04 AM »
I'm being serious, we need a FOT chat room.

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 11:28:23 AM »
COVID has stolen podcast listening time from my life until I'm back in the office. But I was surprised and unsettled to see this Tweet from AP Mike: https://twitter.com/APMike/status/1327122562585931776

Would someone please explain what this is about? I follow Mike on Twitter, but don't know what he's talking about from June...

mnstrfrc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 12:12:18 PM »
COVID has stolen podcast listening time from my life until I'm back in the office. But I was surprised and unsettled to see this Tweet from AP Mike: https://twitter.com/APMike/status/1327122562585931776

Would someone please explain what this is about? I follow Mike on Twitter, but don't know what he's talking about from June...

I don't know everything that was said by whom and when, so I hope others can help me explain this again if this isn't quite right. The June incident referred to is this thing that went down on facebook where mike participated in a debate on the FOT page and said that "defund the police" is a bad idea. Then he started to fight with listeners. And he more or less tripled and quadrupled down on this idea.

If given the benefit of the doubt Mike may be making a relevant, though insipid and moronic, point that running a campaign on "defund the police" against Tr*mp is a losing proposition. Indeed many complete assholes are making that argument currently to explain why democrats lost so many down ballot races and the senate in the election. Worth mentioning that it was very clear from Mike's passionate arguments that he actually believed what he was saying and it wasn't just a troll. Many well intentioned listeners tried to talk him into a more practical and human position on the issue, but he didn't budge. A few folks said they wouldn't listen to the show if he's involved, and there have been a few high profile denunciations and defections.

To me personally, I'm remaining fairly neutral to Mike's involvement. I kind of don't give a shit about his opinions. I had a rather lengthy dm exchange with Mike where it became clear to me that if he isn't overtly racist, he at the very least "admires" some of the most evil islamaphobes to ever walk the earth. He has stated publicly and privately over and over his deeply held belief that Islam is inherently violent. This is beyond problematic, but I don't think it has much to do with the show?? Maybe?

I think there is more, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling. Hopefully we can get a constructive conversation.

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 12:17:56 PM »
I think there is more, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling. Hopefully we can get a constructive conversation.

Thank you. I found some of the puzzle pieces on the Newbridge subreddit too.

Hmm. I know Mike's heart is in the right place. I hope this resolves soon.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 05:33:34 AM »

Mike is a walking contradiction, a literate man who tends bar because he lives in a town where he can't get a job better fitting his skills (or is it more complicated than that? I hope it's more complicated than that.)

If given the benefit of the doubt Mike may be making a relevant, though insipid and moronic, point that running a campaign on "defund the police" against Tr*mp is a losing proposition. Indeed many complete assholes are making that argument currently to explain why Democrats lost so many down ballot races and the senate in the election. Worth mentioning that it was very clear from Mike's passionate arguments that he actually believed what he was saying and it wasn't just a troll. Many well intentioned listeners tried to talk him into a more practical and human position on the issue, but he didn't budge. A few folks said they wouldn't listen to the show if he's involved, and there have been a few high profile denunciations and defections.

I didn't get into Facebook because of the endless security issues it had in the Bush II years, now I'm glad I stayed out as it decayed into an Angry Uncle website. As for "defund the police" that is a topic for City Council meetings and discussions between the Pentagon and the police departments they sell surplus equipment to (so they can build or maintain the SWAT team)....there is no winning the argument online. Most if not all arguments are unwinnable online (especially on Twitter with it's miserably small character count.) There needs to be a 911-style number to call emergency psychologists/social workers because the American cops have too much of a "Dirty Harry" Callahan mentality.

To me personally, I'm remaining fairly neutral to Mike's involvement. I kind of don't give a shit about his opinions. I had a rather lengthy DM exchange with Mike where it became clear to me that if he isn't overtly racist, he at the very least "admires" some of the most evil Islamaphobes to ever walk the earth. He has stated publicly and privately over and over his deeply held belief that Islam is inherently violent. This is beyond problematic, but I don't think it has much to do with the show?? Maybe?

So he's a Sam Harris fan? 9/11 did a number on the mentality of East Coasters, especially the people closest to NYC. Without the ongoing issue of Israel-Palestine, Islamophobia would be understood for what it is, the final hurrah of antisemitism that also is more simple hatred of "dusky" people who worship a God most white Americans think is foreign (even though it it supposed to be the same dude as JVJH, "The Father" to Jesus Christ's "Son"....and Jesus is in the Koran as "Isa.")

Oh, the ball is rolling now.