Author Topic: why are the podcasts doctored?  (Read 4136 times)

Ed

• Plantar Fasciitis
why are the podcasts doctored?
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »
I just started to download some of the podcasts and I noticed a lot of stuff, particularly most of the music, is cut out of the podcasts while they're still on the real audio stream. Why are they doctored/edited?

~Ed

samir

• Space Champion!
Re: why are the podcasts doctored?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:48:27 PM »
copyrights
the station gets licenses to play the songs on the air, but those don't usually extend to other outputs, such as podcasts.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Ed

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »
So pretty much only some of the songs are cut out of the podcasts?

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:51:16 PM »
yeah, just that and the 9-11 truth stuff.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 08:00:04 PM »
You'll have to listen to the streams and find out.

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 09:24:38 PM »

I thought all of the songs were removed from the podcast but remained in the Realaudio/mp3 streams. But I listen on the radio like the neo luddite that I am.

Also, welcome to Ed who in all fairness isn't that Ed. This is the Ed who now knows to never to use me as a reference in the fish business.
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 11:21:02 PM »
Thank god for Tom's 9/11 truth segments.  I wouldn't have known about any of that if not for him.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 02:53:37 AM »

I thought all of the songs were removed from the podcast but remained in the Realaudio/mp3 streams.

This is true.  The only time songs remain in the podcast are special situations, like when Tom was dissecting "Porcupine Pie."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 06:17:17 AM »
If the music has to be edited out for The Best Show's podcasts, I wonder how an all-music show like Downtown Soulville is able to podcast. Is this due to the age and/or relative obscurity of the music played on that show?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 06:53:50 AM »
If the music has to be edited out for The Best Show's podcasts, I wonder how an all-music show like Downtown Soulville is able to podcast. Is this due to the age and/or relative obscurity of the music played on that show?

Mudd Up! takes two weeks to be podcast - I assume this is because they have to obtain permission. Do Or DIY, the only other WFMU podcast music show I listen to, comes up a lot shorter than it seems to be on air. It appears to be a different edit, presumably 'podsafe', which I understand is the term for music that is licensed for podcast.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »

It has something to do with the year that certain intellectual property laws take effect - 1973, I think.  Shows like Downtown Soulville and Sinner's Crossroads use music before this date.  I don't know how Bronwyn gets away with it - maybe because she doesn't play music that often, and when she does, it's Gregorian chants.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »
Probably were Weird Al songs he had to go back and erase.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 11:22:18 PM »

yeah, just that and the 9-11 truth stuff.

They also cut out the part where Tom and his brother Dom take calls about people's car problems and make lots of wacky automotive quips.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 01:38:02 AM »
I love the Glen Jones Radio Program with X-Ray Burns but that show is not podcast. If it were It would be 40 minutes is all the music was taken out.
Still, it's great to play any of those shows from the archive for a great stretch of music.

The Best Show podcast is still almost 3 hours even with all the music taken out.