Author Topic: The Wire Season 4  (Read 7708 times)

bruce

The Wire Season 4
« on: October 16, 2006, 06:29:43 PM »
Alright so after tonight I will have watched all of Season 4. I'm not the type who will ruin it for anyone. But the shows leads you to beleive certain things only to have the tables turned. I'm talking about the 4 boys in 8th grade to be exact. Also one of the funnier Omar moments is in episode 11.

Now on to more important things. Who are you top three characters on the show.

1. Omar - I get the feeeling this is probably in the top three of most fans. How can you not like the guy who can walk around in his bathrobe and people go running.
2. Lester - The fly in the ointment that is the police force
3. Bunk - the smoothest cop on the force

I know a lot of people don't care for Carceti but guess  what he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

I miss Ziggy from Season 2

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: The Wire Season 4
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:12:27 PM »
Pretty much the best tv show I've ever seen.  I got home from work and was pissed that next week's episode wasn't up on demand yet but I found out it's pre-empted next week because of baseball. 

I'm surprised and relieved to hear that Omar makes it to episode 11 as things are looking insanely bad for him at the moment.  I think he's reached the point where he's too much of a "super hero" and the writers are either going to drag him down to earth or kill him off. 

You knew this show was great at defying expectations when Lester and Prez emerged from the background in season one and turned into integral characters. I love the scene where Burrell thinks he's screwing Daniels over by keeping them in his unit and Daniels can barely supress a smile. 

As for favorite characters, Lester and Bunk are indeed awesome but I think Bodie is one of the most underrated.  His continued survival to this point has been pretty impressive.

bruce

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 09:27:06 PM »
ok watched the finale 1hr 18 minutes worth. Won't give away anything, will just say someone long term does die. Also there are a few people from the first two seasons who make apperances. One being that "country" singer, and the other the greek.

Also a little bit of trivia Omar was only supposed to be in 7 episodes total in the first season before getting killed.

Also the only real person on the cast with the drug selling background is the guy who plays the soft spoken Deacon. He was actually part of a case David Simon witnessed while doing research for the book Homicide.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 11:03:31 PM »
Sheeeit, careful Mr. Torrent, I didn't need to know that info either,

Also the only real person on the cast with the drug selling background is the guy who plays the soft spoken Deacon. He was actually part of a case David Simon witnessed while doing research for the book Homicide.

Felicia Pearson, who plays Snoop, the androgynous girl in Marlo's crew, also was locked up young.  I read somewhere for manslaughter but I don't know if that's true.  Interestingly, the character's real name on the show is the same as the actress.'  Michael K. Williams, the guy that plays Omar, met her at a club and encouraged her to audition for the show. 

bruce

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:25:08 AM »
Sorry Chris I tired to be vague. If I really wanted to ruin it for you. I would tell you exactly what happens to everyone.

Maybe for season 5 they can use the Compulsive Gamblers version of Down In The Hole

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 09:45:39 AM »
I've seen a couple of episodes, but I couldn't really get into it.

I am, however, seriously looking forward to season II of Rome.

Sarah

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 11:26:46 AM »
As I said to you the other day, Bruce, I have a big soft spot for poor old Bubbles.  I also really liked McNulty in the first season, but his character has faded considerably since then.  Omar is superb, of course, and I'm happy that Prezbo is coming into his own as a teacher.  He was such a little weasel when he started off.  But, really, I like so many of the characters, there's no point picking favorites.  I'm going to be mighty sad when this season is done.

bruce

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 12:32:58 PM »
Don't be Sarah Season 5 is coming next year. Don't worry Sarah, McNulty is back in the later episodes.

I can't believe there is no love for Marlo, Cutty, and Prop Joe.

For my fellow Wire watchers the Baltimore Noir book is a great stop gap between episodes.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 12:50:54 PM »
It'd be hard to consider Marlo a favorite character, mainly because he and his crew are stone cold sociopaths.  Stringer and Avon did plenty of vile stuff but you could still empathize with them.  I just want Marlo to get taken down at some point.  Similar to how I'm just waiting to see as many characters on the Sopranos get theirs as possible, as I hate them all. 

Also interesting is how Carver is evolving into good police while Herc gradually becomes more of a douchebag with each episode.  I'm guessing that will come to a head at some point. 

This blog devoted to the show goes pretty in-depth.  There's a Q&A up now w/ David Simon, who gives fantastic interviews as well:
http://heavenandhere.wordpress.com/

Laurie

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 01:47:28 PM »
Didn't Mike Lupica have David Simon on his show not too long ago?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 02:20:54 PM »
Didn't Mike Lupica have David Simon on his show not too long ago?

That was the crime novelist George Pelecanos, who has been a writer and producer on the show, but I think wrote only one episode this year. 

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 02:34:44 PM »
[youtube=425,350]OzNpRovdLOA[/youtube]

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 02:37:53 PM »
By the way, hope you really enjoyed that 10 second clip beause posting it I stumbled across a huge fucking spoiler on YouTube.  Thanks, internet. 

bruce

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 02:57:01 PM »
For Sarah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbHEn7l3ZrM&NR

There you can relive the Jimmy McNulty of old.

Sarah

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 11:36:59 PM »
Oh my, I do have me a soft spot for a purty, tortured drunk, don't I? 

Talk about humbling.