Author Topic: The Wire Season 4  (Read 7707 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: The Wire Season 4
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 10:15:11 AM »
Little known fact: The guy who says "sheeit" has been a murderer, a cop or both (!) in every single episode of every version of "Law & Order."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 08:45:08 PM »
Sheeeeeit is my current catchphrase.

bruce

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 10:28:15 PM »
Little known fact: The guy who says "sheeit" has been a murderer, a cop or both (!) in every single episode of every version of "Law & Order."

Even though both shows were cancelled he was never on Law & Order: Conviction or Trial By Jury.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 11:20:39 AM »
Bruce, to quote Foghorn Leghorn, "That's a joke, son - a joke!"

Did you also notice that there were at least two episodes of "Law and Order: SVU" that the actor was never on?  (That's a joke, too).

There's an early Peanuts cartoon where Lucy is telling Linus some "little known facts."  The last panel is her whispering an aside and saying, "They're little known because I make em up."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Sarah

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 11:32:45 AM »
One of my favorite scenes in, I think, the first season of The Wire features dialogue that consists entirely of the word "fuck."  It was beautiful.  A lesson in inflection for us all.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 12:29:13 PM »
One of my favorite scenes in, I think, the first season of The Wire features dialogue that consists entirely of the word "fuck."  It was beautiful.  A lesson in inflection for us all.

It was indeed the first season -- Bunk and McNulty.  Classic.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 06:00:29 AM »
Also the only real person on the cast with the drug selling background is the guy who plays the soft spoken Deacon. He was actually part of a case David Simon witnessed while doing research for the book Homicide.

The Deacon was actually more than just part of a drug case -- he was the Avon Barksdale of his day.  Has anyone read the Rafael Alvarez book that came out in 2004?

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Truth-Be-Told/dp/0743497325

Simon's intro is fantastic, and it gives a lot of interesting background on a lot of the characters' real-life counterparts.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

bruce

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 08:41:39 AM »
I flipped through it when it came out and loooked mainly like episode summaries so I passed. Did read the book the Corner was based on and that was fantastic.

Just pick up Baltimore Noir instead Omar

Mark

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 12:51:30 PM »
I've got the Alvarez book, and yeah, while it has a good Simon intro and some nice background info on the real-life Bubbles and the guy that plays Proposition Joe, you can probably find most of it online. The episode summaries are somewhat illuminating, but, you know, they're just episode summaries.