Author Topic: Steampunk? I thought I had my ear to the ground, but...  (Read 7555 times)

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Steampunk? I thought I had my ear to the ground, but...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 11:09:07 AM »
I agree with all this, but arts and crafts projects are fun. Lets not stomp on every hobby people have.

God Stewart

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 11:24:05 AM »
I agree with all this, but arts and crafts projects are fun. Lets not stomp on every hobby people have.

That wasn't really what I meant but you're right, Eric. I'm just jealous because wish I had more time for my arts and crafts. Like Tom says, if it makes them happy, God bless 'em.

I guess if I took part in civil war reenactments I'd say, "Finally, we're not the biggest nerds on the planet."

You deserve to be blasted by my imaginary cannon fire at Sharpsburg this September 17. 

Ha, ha. And get a bad case of imaginary gangrene taboot. Yes.

God Stewart

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »

I guess if I took part in civil war reenactments tall bike rallies I'd say, "Finally, we're not the biggest nerds on the planet."

Fixed!

dania

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 11:34:56 AM »
But everybody likes antiques, vintage fashion, old-world imagery and such.  I just don't see what makes it "punk".  It's probably about as punk as Zachary Brimstead's album "Barbershop PUnk"

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »
When was the last time the word 'punk' meant anything though? At this point its a very general word that means whatever you want but clearly denotes that this will be positive for middle-class mostly male white people 16-35. You could take Stephen King's article about what is cool and plug in the word punk and it would be the same meaningless drivel.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »
it's a play off of the equally meaningless "cyberpunk."

dvdv

• Policemans heel
hmm
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 10:53:21 PM »
Im suspicious of any movement that involves watching The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

chrisfoll577

Re: hmm
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 06:55:38 AM »
Im suspicious of any movement that involves watching The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

not to mention wild wild west.

wild wild west

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 02:02:38 PM »
I prefer Chipmunk Punk

I think they cover "Refugee" on it.
"Let's Go" is the most punk it gets.  Actually, I find the chipmunk'd "Let's Go" fairly listenable.

Judge for yourself!
http://childrensrecordsandmore.blogspot.com/2007/09/chipmunks-chipmunk-punk-excelsior-xlp.html

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 06:49:26 PM »
As annoying as this forced fad has been to witness, I hold the (publicly) secret belief that it is an effort on behalf of the boingboing people to prepare us for a world without oil. In that, I am all for alternate power sources, but why does it have to look like a toilet that the mafia would hide a gun behind?

bookem_dan-o

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »
It's a nerd thing. BoingBoing'ed for months and months -- they have some pretty cool examples on there. And some VERY lame ones.

Can I throw Cory Doctorow in the Hate Pit again?

Please do.

But at least let him plug his new e-book beforehand!

Cory Doctorow is an archetypal FWD. This guy was an invited guest on Leo Laporte's "This Week in Tech" podcast, which is sponsored by Audible.com, then during one of Leo's breaks to thank them for being a sponsor, Cory went into a whiny rant about how Audible wouldnt let him distribute his audiobook without DRM, and how Audible sucks because he had to manually convert all of his Audible library into .ogg files or whatever when he switched to Linux. The guy is bad PR for the Open Source/Creative Commons/Copyleft/"Free Culture" movements. A religious fanatic on the level of Richard Stallman, albeit more acceptably hipster and less hirsuite than Mr. Stallman.

He, as well as his penchant for posting every stupid steampunk related thing he can find on the internet is one of the main reasons why I stopped reading BoingBoing on a regular basis.

I'll personally dig a new hate pit just for him alone.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 01:37:58 PM »
his penchant for posting every stupid steampunk related thing he can find on the internet

This is the reason I unsubscribed from BoingBoing's rss.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 01:41:49 PM »
He, as well as his penchant for posting every stupid steampunk related thing he can find on the internet is one of the main reasons why I stopped reading BoingBoing on a regular basis.

I'll personally dig a new hate pit just for him alone.

Hurrah - someone has created a feed that nixes him entirely:
http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=iOZ0jQKL3BGXuJJTjtzu1g&_render=rss

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 05:29:01 PM »
Thanks for the RSS feed.
I read maybe 10% of Boing Boing and hadn't read any of his posts. I haven't encountered Doctorow in any other platform but his endless plugging of that book on Boing Boing is insane. I see that stupid picture every single day on the feed. It's strange to me that someone who I assume understands the internet well (he posts on one its bigger blogs) would not realize that once you pass a certain level of plugs, you appear to be spamming.

bookem_dan-o

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 08:09:36 AM »
I have no appreciation for Science Fiction, but is Cory Doctorow really the great, well respected scifi writer that I've been led to believe? I honestly never heard of him before I started reading BB at the turn of this century.