Author Topic: Lest you get the wrong impression of Sweden  (Read 3098 times)

Jason

Re: Lest you get the wrong impression of Sweden
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 09:14:59 PM »
I like Wolf Brigade, Totalitar, DS13, ETA, Bruce Banner, The Regulations in a punk rock vein.
Oh and The Members of Tinnitus in an insane arty weirdos way.

TL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:19:45 PM »
A'ight Crimestick, come clean, though - you secretly love Håken Hellström, right?
(No shame in that game, by the way - why fight it?  Things are so HAPPY with universal healthcare, paternity leave,  and boyfriend/girlfriend visas!)

[youtube]OfuuKUpb24M[/youtube]

Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 11:06:29 PM »
I know about Malmö and hear plenty of good things about it though I have still never been to Sweden.  However I am a proud Swedish-American, and have relatives in Öland.  One of these years I will travel around Sweden.  I can't wait to see my ancestral homeland!! 

TL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 11:34:55 PM »
I actually really do love Malmö, but not all of Sweden feels the same.  The whole Skåne province was under Danish rule for so long, that it's still given the fish eye by the northerners.  My sister and I were in a bar in Stockholm talking to the bartender about New York and New Jersey, and I said, "Yeah, but she lives in Sweden now."  He said, "Ja?  Where do you live?"  She said, "Malmö," and he paused, started drying a glass, and said, "That's not Sweden."
I think he was just a jerk, but it wasn't the first or last time I've heard that sentiment...
Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »
That's true, TL - there's always some separatists talk down here. It's mostly tongue-in-cheek, and it's for sure not at all on the same playing field as the Flemish or the Catalan separatists, but some people can be jerks about it, as your story suggests. From our perspective, Skåne as a whole and Malmö in particular is much more continental and more like mainland Europe than the rest of Sweden, which drives the northerners nuts. Since they're convinced Stockholm is the center of the universe, they don't know what to do with themselves when another part of the country turn out to be way cooler. But it explains why so many bands, artists and other young creative people are moving here. The Malmö-Copenhagen region is one of the most expansive in Europe. The fact is that Sweden would probably fare terribly without Skåne's wealth.

Anyway, boring boring... regional politics.

I don't mind Håkan Hellström, but I don't listen to him. He's very charming and his energy is infectious, but I don't care much for the music. There's a great divide here between people who love him unconditionally, and people who think he should "learn how to sing".

Fido, Öland is beautiful, you'd like it. Very popular in the summer. Stora Alvaret, or The Great Alvar, is quite spectacular.